GM 3800 Recall. Also check Intake Gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a recall of vehicles with the 3800 Series II engine, which is in my Regal.

Something to do with a gasket around the valves that has been known to fail and drip oil onto the exhaust manifold and start an engine fire.

I was wondering, since they will have to take the engine apart down to the valves, what are the chances they could also check my intake manifold gasket while they are in there?

I've heard of the problems the 3800 series where the intake manifold gasket breaks down, which leaks air, causing the DEX to clot up, and causing a reduction in power as well. It would be awesome to know if I am driving a car with the original gasket, or a replaced gasket, but I don't have the skill or time to take apart my engine that far. And I figured they would be in there already anyway.

Isn't it just the valve cover gasket? I don't think they have to take off the intake manifold to do it. I could be wrong though.

Have the valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets changed at the same time.
Make sure they use the updated steel shim gaskets and the updated EGR tube.
Replace the upper intake manifold if it's plastic.
Good time to change the heater hoses too.
Don't forget the coolant elbows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back