GM 3800 carnage

I used a roloc disc and a sanding sponge when I replaced the heads on my 3800. Didn't gall up the bearings any. Then again applied grease to the cylinder walls where it met the piston, stuffed rags in the cylinders and scraped the grease out with a feeler gauge when I was done. Had to replace one of the head gaskets a second time but it never scored up the bearings.

Good time to replace the steering rack. I replaced lots of those on this series of car back in the day.
Yeah I have done few too. I think the original had a bearing that would go bad and it would clunk...loudly. I bought a replacement from Rack Doctor on line was a quality unit with all the updates.

Last edited:
The only timing chains I have ever replaced in pushrod engines were when I was doing a cam upgrade. I have never had one fail or stretch enough to matter.

I am not sure if these used a nylon tooth covering on the cam gear but that was usually the reason for changing the old ones on quite a few engines when you found the nylon teeth coming out with the oil.

nylon teeth.jpg

I am not sure if these used a nylon tooth covering on the cam gear but that was usually the reason for changing the old ones on quite a few engines when you found the nylon teeth coming out with the oil.

View attachment 31989
I have seen those before but that is like what I had in my 71 K5. The 3800 in the W-body had all metal parts with a small tensioner.

View attachment 31989
Was about to say the same thing. I still had 160k on an 87 Olds 307, when the water pump failed I did the chain too. It had slop but not enough to jump time anytime soon. I had an 89 Caprice 305 which was after they stopped using nylon gears. It had 332k miles when I scrapped it, original chain with very little slop.

There's a bench grinder on the table behind. I guess as the abrasive wheels wear down, the carborundum or alumina particles just dissolve in the air. A lot of things in the picture, a commode, and a microwave/fridge.:D

Back