GM 3.6 intake valve clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing the spark plugs on my 2011 Enclave, which requires removing the upper intake manifold. While in there you can see the intake valves, which are quite dirty. Any recommendations for cleaning them?

Fn7RGOX.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
CRC emissions formula..dump in tank add gas to full and drive..under 10$ at WM.
That doesn't work on a DI engine.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Seafoam would work well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UeJXkzDW8

If you worry about carbon deposits on the intake valves, you should buy an aftermarket oil catch can when the engine is new.

And how would that clean the valves?

BTW, that little bit of carbon does not harm, and that seaform really did nothing, other than change the color of the carbom

Originally Posted By: T-Keith
That doesn't work on a DI engine.

My bad didnt see it was DI

This is a direct injection engine. The gas mixture will never touch those valves.

I tried CRC intake cleaner, doesn't seem to do much, I cant really fit anything in there to clean other than a rag. I'm trying a FP60 soak to see if that makes a difference.

There is only one way to get that crud off those valves without tearing down the cylinder head(s). The walnut shell blasting method.

I might try a bit of aluminium cable in a drill chuck if I had compressed air to blow it out afterwards, but that doesn't look too bad, so I might leave it alone.

Originally Posted By: T-Keith
I'm changing the spark plugs on my 2011 Enclave, which requires removing the upper intake manifold. While in there you can see the intake valves, which are quite dirty. Any recommendations for cleaning them?

How many miles were on the vehicle when you took a look at the valve face deposits?

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back