Glycol in UOA - how to tell if it's coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my first UOA done recently (BMW N52, 15,000 miles on the car, 5200 on the oil) and it came back with very low wear metals, but almost 2% fuel dilution and 2.48% (I think this value is measured in percent) Glycol.

I haven't seen any visible signs of coolant in the oil which would indicate a major problem (no mayonnaise on the filler cap, no oil film in the coolant reservoir, no white smoke from the tailpipe) but I still feel a bit uneasy about it until I can find out more information.

The oil used was total quartz energy 9000 0w30, and the coolant is BMW antifreeze/summer coolant (which is glycol based I believe).

Has anyone ever seen glycol in a UOA before, that was normal for the oil?

I'm guessing my only real option is to get a VOA done, but I'd really be interested to see if anyone else has seen anything similar.

No I have never seen glycol as part of the oil. Glycol is antifreeze. There are two types. Propylene and ethylene. Usually you'll see alot of potassium and sodium in the oil if glycol is present. What did that show?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, this doesn't sound promising... Here's the raw data from the UOA. And it was indeed performed by Dyson Analysis.

bmw n52, 5200 mile OCI, 15,000 miles total.
Total quartz energy 9000 0w30
wear metals
---------------
iron: 6
copper: 3
tin: 0
lead: 0
chrom: 0
nickel: 0
aluminum: 0
titanium: 0
silver: 0

additive metals
-------------------
calcium: 1865
magnesium: 21
zinc: 1127
phos: 693
barium: 0
molyb: 17
antim: 0

contaminants
--------------------
silicon: 1
sodium: 1
boron: 58
potassium: 4
vanad: 0

physical tests
--------------------
vis @ 40: 68.5
vis@100: 12.2
tan: 2.65
flash: 260
oxid: 22
nit: 15
kf: 313
tbn: 3.9
fuel: 1.8
soot: 0.01
glycol: 2.48
vindx: 178

sulfate byproducts: 29.6

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wolfestone
Thanks guys, this doesn't sound promising... Here's the raw data from the UOA. And it was indeed performed by Dyson Analysis.

For what it's worth, the first time I had a Dyson UOA done on my M54, it showed 1.00 of glycol. Terry interpreted it as coolant presence. However, in the next UOA, the glycol level went down to 0.17. And in subsequent UOAs done by another lab, no antifreeze was detected anywhere. So, go figure.

If you're not losing coolant and still have plenty of time remaining on your warranty (do you?), then I'd be inclined to not jump into any conclusions and run another UOA after some time to see if glycol shows up in such high numbers again. Aside from that, if you can convince your service advisor to perform a coolant system pressure test during your next scheduled service, that would be good, too.

I don't think you have a coolant leak issue. Are you adding anything to your engine oil or fuel?

Have you done or seen a VOA of the oil you're using?

Last edited:
The only thing I do is run a bottle of techron in the last tank of fuel before I change the oil.

And unfortunately no, I haven't been able to find a VOA on this oil.

Last edited:
2.48 is a significant glycol reading IMO. I suppose it could be from Techron, but I doubt it.

Is there any possiblity that the funnel used to fill your sump with engine oil had previously been used for anti-freeze without thoroughly cleaning it?

Quote:
Is there any possiblity that the funnel used to fill your sump with engine oil had previously been used for anti-freeze without thoroughly cleaning it?

Bingo.

I had a high glycol reading one time and realized I had left the funnel in the oil fill hole while also filling the AF overflow bottle. All it takes is a few drops of AF splashing into the funnel or oil fill hole to show up in an analysis.

Run another UOA later and see if it drops or dissapears with a clean dry funnel when you change and refill oil.

In some cases, I have seen a head gasket leak slightly in a new engine and then stop as miles accumulated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, I can see how that could certainly explain it but I'm as sure as I can be that I didn't contaminate the oil myself. I don't use a funnel, and make sure to clean the sump and drain plug before draining the oil. I took the sample mid-drain right into the sample bottle, and sealed the lid before I got out from under the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back