GL information

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to learn more about the gear lube specifications. Can anyone tell me a web site that that gives information on the differences between GL3, GL4, and GL5? I tried the API web site and didn't find much.

If no one knows of a web site, I'll be happy for any information that can be provided. About all i know is that GL-5 should not be used in transmissions with brass synchros unless specifically stated by the gear oil blender. The additives that elevate it from Gl-4 to GL-5 can be harsh enough to damage the synchros. Anyone with any insight can you please share it?

GL-1,4,5 are the only ones active.
GL-1 is a straight mineral oil with AO and maybe a PP depresant.

GL-4 and GL-5 use the same chemsitry the GL-4 has a lowwer additive treat rate 1-2% where a GL-5 has a higher 6-7%.

The higher treat in a GL-5 may lead to higher corrosion/wear rates with brass gears or synchros.

GL-5 may or may not have additional friction modifiers for posi rear ends.

GL-4 is better suited to industrial gear boxes aswell as manual transmissions.

One of the sponsers here Specialty Formulations makes a wide range of automotive trans and gear lubes give them a call.
bruce

GL-4 is generally recomended where syncronizers are used, as they have less additive and allow better displacement and grip. Also the transmissions don't have the same torque as the differentials.
GL-5 is normally used in diferencials and can be used in a lot of transmissions, depending on the synchronizer angles, grooves and materials.
Most GL-4 and GL-5 oils use Sulfur/phos EP additives. Some are more corrosive than others, but those might be limited to regions like where I live where compnaies sell whatever they can.
Other GL-5 oils (such as the Delo Gear mentioned in another post) use Borate addives that leave the bronze totally unchanged in color, no chemical or corrosive reactions. They are more expensive, but under most conditions give better mileage, less wear. Chevron is not the only maker of borate gear oils, but the most known.

Other GL-5 oils (such as the Delo Gear mentioned in another post) use Borate addives that leave the bronze totally unchanged in color, no chemical or corrosive reactions. They are more expensive, but under most conditions give better mileage, less wear. Chevron is not the only maker of borate gear oils, but the most known.

Chevron has the patent on that chemistry I think but they also sell the Boron additive to formulators so what you see out there is most likley chevron oronite chemistry.

Also years ago when the borate system came out there was a problem with shock laoding as they had to add a S/P additive to pass shock load testing and I believe it is still in there today.

bruce

GL-5 is suitable for limited-slip applications without additive in most cases. My Auburn unit, however, still requires GM or Ford additive even with the GL-5 oil

Check the Heading, "Science and Technology of Oils and Lubricant Additives" as there are three white papers in there by your's truly which gives general technical information on Gear Lubes and formulations.

Search on "Gear Tribology" and "EP additives".

Ah my kingdom for Delo tranny oil:(
frown.gif
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back