GF bent on 10,000 mile OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Wife and I met in 200 with me 95 Civic and her 96 Civic with over 100k each car. She changed oil every 5k-7k and I was ancy and did 3.5k with synthetic. She only did 100k maintenance including t belt , plugs while I did Honda interval of 30k all sort of fluids plugs etc.

We both hit 220k and got new vehicles and she never did t belt again and me on 2nd one and 7 of maintenances every 30k.

We both sold cars for similar amount $4k and she spent FAR less money on maintenance and oil changes beyond time.

Conclusion I've come to also. Overmaintaining and dumping factory fills early amounts to nothing more than flushing money down the drain.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The change interval specified by VW is 10k/1yr. Run a good 502 oil and don't worry about it.

Agreed, I have and Audi w 125k and VW w 120k on 10k oil changes. Use the right oil and it will not be an issue.

Let's see:

Did her research by actually reading owner's manual
Located accurate information
Refuses to budge because it's her ride and she's gonna do what she wants to

I like this chick already.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: thorromig
You love being a TROLL dont you?

one of the group pointed out that you took exception to me commenting on your drama queen thread. when I went to see it, you had deleted it, and replaced it with the above post.obviously, you don't know the meaning of troll.

go and look at my past posts. I thank people for providing me/the group/the board with some laughs/entertainment.most of these threads ARE drama queen threads, and are hilarious.and, for this, I'm called a troll.hilarious.re-read the thread. this one is a textbook example of that. the thread title, alone, is indicative of drama.the difference -- in the other drama threads, the op's have a sense of humor.

it's likely that you are upset that many posts agree with your gf.
as well,a couple of funny, and relevant posts:kgmtech --"this is the best example of bitog ocd and dominant aggression behavior ever", and bmwturbodzl's -- "there's zero evidence changing early is doing your gf a favor.this is not the hill to die on".

you obviously disagree, but this thread IS classic drama.but, opinions vary. it's too bad that a couple of dozen here have no sense of humor.
you should show this thread to your gf. you won't, because she will likely laugh at you, since many here agree with her.
at any rate, have a good evening, and once again, thanks for some laughs.

Your GF is right. The owners manual says 10k for a reason.....it is more than often enough. Get a life or another car you can over fluid change.

Originally Posted By: yeti
You love being a TROLL dont you?

one of the group pointed out that you took exception to me commenting on your drama queen thread. when I went to see it, you had deleted it, and replaced it with the above post.obviously, you don't know the meaning of troll.

go and look at my past posts. I thank people for providing me/the group/the board with some laughs/entertainment.most of these threads ARE drama queen threads, and are hilarious.and, for this, I'm called a troll.hilarious.re-read the thread. this one is a textbook example of that. the thread title, alone, is indicative of drama.the difference -- in the other drama threads, the op's have a sense of humor.

it's likely that you are upset that many posts agree with your gf.
as well,a couple of funny, and relevant posts:kgmtech --"this is the best example of bitog ocd and dominant aggression behavior ever", and bmwturbodzl's -- "there's zero evidence changing early is doing your gf a favor.this is not the hill to die on".

you obviously disagree, but this thread IS classic drama.but, opinions vary. it's too bad that a couple of dozen here have no sense of humor.
you should show this thread to your gf. you won't, because she will likely laugh at you, since many here agree with her.
at any rate, have a good evening, and once again, thanks for some laughs.

Yeti,

I recognized and appreciated your self-deprecating humor but you need to remember not everyone south of the 49th parellel has a sense of humor about oil.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Why are some people just so hard headed to a point at times?

Her or you?
whistle.gif

She's only following what the mfcr recommends for her vehicle.

Spot on.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Yeti, I recognized and appreciated your self-deprecating humor but you need to remember not everyone south of the 49th parellel has a sense of humor about oil.

noted.
have a good evening.

Best part about this is -- she is the one who called you a TROLL in the first place & not to respond to you. We both laughed at this whole thread -- your just one of those clowns that likes to hear themselves talk. Good luck with that!!! LOL

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Your GF is right. The owners manual says 10k for a reason.....it is more than often enough. Get a life or another car you can over fluid change.

If she doesn't plan to keep it until 300,000 miles, then OCI's really won't matter much.

If she trades it again in 5 years.... who cares?

Originally Posted By: Linctex

If she doesn't plan to keep it until 300,000 miles, then OCI's really won't matter much.

A 5k OCI won't get one more mile out of that engine than a 10k OCI. Pulling the dipstick and checking the level between OCIs will.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Now there is the funniest bit about all of BITOG threads.

How many of us actually keep a vehicle so long that we get a return on the effort and expense we invest in vehicle lubrication?

Best part about this is -- she is the one who called you a TROLL in the first place & not to respond to you. We both laughed at this whole thread -- your just one of those clowns that likes to hear themselves talk. Good luck with that!!! LOL

for the second time tonight,one of the group pointed out one of your posts to me.
your post proves my point about this being a drama queen thread. I don't know why you're getting so bent about this. drama queen threads are a good thing, as they are funny/entertaining.

I like to hear myself talk, as you state -- with such a huge post count, in nearly 12 years. you're,not your, wrong, again.

there's no sense continuing this sparring, for two reasons. it will only get the thread locked. and, well ..... always read one's sig.
say hello to your intelligent gf, and have a good evening.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
It is her car.
She is an adult.
Let her make her choices and live with the consequences, good or bad.

Couldn't have said it any better.

If she bought her car with her money the it has nothing to do with you.

Sometimes a disclaimer can be helpful, along the lines of
"I'll either always help, or I'll never help, you can't pick and choose"
And she'll just have to live with her decision.

Changed the FF on my GTI at 5k miles. Filter looked fine, no signs of large "flakes" or particles. Oil looked OK (for whatever thats worth) and didn't smell at all like gas. The other DI turbo car I change oil on (hyundai turbo) always smells like gas at 4k miles.

I would probably change FF at 5k miles, then have no issue running the 1.4 for 10k miles between changes. Especially if shes not hard on it.

I changed the FF with the castrol 5w40 OE. probably go with motul next time. Most thing i've read said to stick with OEM filter for VW engines. its not that expensive anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back