Getting Varnish in Carborators

Don’t know where you live. But out west in Idaho Utah and Washington. Maverick gas stations sell E-0 it’s about the same price as premium at 91 octane.
NH, never heard of Maverick.

pure-gas.org showed a station but its 20 or more miles in a direction I rarely go. Come summer I will check on a local marina. Usually I don’t get more than a few years out of ope, either it rots or I find something better.

Hi,
How does Ethanol Cause Varnish in carbs?
In a nut shell: Gas and Ethanol separates over time, the Ethanol attracts water and that leads to bacteria/yeast/fungi growth. On top of that some of those bacteria secret acetic acid and other acids that react with certain metals.

It's a mess, especially if you have a classic car with a metal tank and aluminum/zink parts in the carb.
This here is quite an extreme example, but you get the idea.

1673699643133.png

Not sure if this is even available in the US, but my favorite additives are Bactofin and Labracin - both are pretty popular over here.

Frank

Non-Ethanol fuel in my area is alway at least 90-91 octane and difficult to find without traveling further than I travel for any fuel.
87 octane or higher is what all of my vehicles/equipment require(some OM may actually say 86 or higher but I'd have to look). Yes, they can use higher octane but just don't require it.
Everything I own from vehicles to small engines all require at least 87(or 86) octane with NO MORE THAN 10% ethanol.
The 2022 Civic in my signature will allow for up to 15% ethanol according to the OM(pg. 638) but still 87 or higher octane.

Hi Frank,
Are you saying that Ethanol attracts water from the air or water from water-contaminated fuel?
Cheers,
Iain.

Hi Frank,
Are you saying that Ethanol attracts water from the air or water from water-contaminated fuel?
Cheers,
Iain.
Mostly from air, but you also can have condensation in the tank, that contaminates the fuel (or contaminated fuel in the first place, but I guess that's really rare). Water and fuel usually don't mix - so the water is sitting at the bottom of your tank, unless you have Ethanol in the fuel..

Hi,
Never noticed that ethyl alcohol absorbs water from the air. Really?
I have noticed a few fuel tanks that have had rainwater inside & corroded the bottom of the fuel tank.

Greetings Ye Merry Oilmen,

I use 93 octane fuel (e10 AFAIK) with StarTron fuel additive in all my outdoor power equipment. I have had to clean varnish flakes out of carbs on both the Echo string trimmer and the Husq hedge trimmer so far this year. They don't get used often but at least a few times a year. Had to clean the carb on the Cub Cadet lawn tractor a few years ago. I try to drain for long term storage if I can. Is there any way to prevent this annoying problem? I've read about Stabil and SeaFoam. Do they work better than StarTron? Any ideas?

Thanks.
Nibbana
I routinely use High octane fuel in my Stihl fs38 trimmer. It idles and has better throttle response than when I used 85 Octane. You probably don't use that much anyway. BG44k works well. I know Napa sells it

Back