Getting the A3 timing chain done

IMG_2503.jpeg
IMG_2502.jpeg
IMG_2500.jpeg
MTook a lot longer than expected,but have a new appreciation for my mechanic,and got to see what the results of 3 k oil changes are.Didn’t change the water pump or struts,oil pump and timing chains were enough for one day.The lt.brown guides are the old ones and the oil actuated tensioner fell apart when we removed it.Had to reuse the old oil pump chain and spring loaded tensioner,also interesting is no gaskets,so removing anything is time consuming.

Wouldn’t load all pictures the first time I’ll try to load the after pictures Went out for silicone to GM.
IMG_2529.jpeg
IMG_2521.jpeg
IMG_2517.jpeg
IMG_2516.jpeg
IMG_2515.jpeg
IMG_2496.jpeg
IMG_2509.jpeg
IMG_2512.jpeg
IMG_2508.jpeg

My phone died and while I wasn’t the lead I couldn’t try finding a charger and car was disconnected. The engine support. The after pics didn’t get the finish so the pics still show the installation kit,which was worth the $60.Bottom of engine under windage tray oil pan and oil pump removed.

You need the special tools for holding the crankshaft chain sprocket at the very least, it’s a kind of mesh design that only sits one way and the tool holds it in place.
Thanks the tool you referenced was critical,for timing locking and installing the guides.They do like silicone over gaskets.Nice to see a clean oil pan.

300 miles I did another oil change and found metal on the drain plug and flushed out more. I’d like to cut open the oil filter but know it would be a train wreck

Back