Getting paid online besides Paypal

I've had Paypal for nearly 20 years so I'm familiar with it but there are new ones that seem to pop up nowadays. Twice now when selling something on Craigslist or Facebook the buyer comes over to buy, doesn't have the cash, and asks if I take such and such a payment. I say no and direct him to the nearest ATM for cash. My concerns with these services is a week later somehow they reverse the payment. What are the chances of that happening with Zelle, Venmo, Cash App, etc.?

no experience with the newer ones BUT paypal xtra charges + fact i really DONT trust them makes it a last resort, not to mention NOT being able to contact them on a recent issue where seller posted a different "handle" on my visa causing me to call the bank to investigate + get a new card!!

Paypal and Gumroad are very similar. Square is also good, but they charge a higher fee and you need to set it up. Cash is and will always be KING!! Next to Elvis and Bon Scott, of course.

Reactions: JC1
I did sign up with CashApp for getting a $50 deposit for a transmission I delivered 3 hours away, and that didn't have any fee associated with it. And from what I see, neither does Zelle.

I'm also do PayPal over the years

these cash apps are fast but once your money is out, its gone; also you have no recourse with your home bank;

If you get paid with PayPal friends and family option, I don't think the charges can be reversed because there is no buyer protection. That's the way it use to work, but I would double check it!

If you get paid with PayPal friends and family option, I don't think the charges can be reversed because there is no buyer protection. That's the way it use to work, but I would double check it!
Never pay anyone using friends and family unless you really, really trust them.

I use Paypal when I have to but much prefer Zelle. Paypal can drag it's feet when there is an issue and is heavily biased to the purchaser if and who wants a fee? The other end of the issue if using the no-fee friends and family you the buyer have zero recourse with PayPal if something goes wrong.

Large number of banks support Zelle. I use it to pay babysitters and tutors. Haven't had any issues in the few years I've used it so can't say how the resolution center work.

CashApp is an app on the phone.

It provides an anonymous way to pay.

You link it to your bank account much like PayPal (which I would not recommend to anyone, ever, and I am totally done with them) and then you get a CashApp tag. Say mine was.. $JT20 (its not but it should be) you could then send that person money.

I would stick to your guns and accept payment from sources you trust. If you do your research (I understand this is part of that) and feel comfortable having several apps, then by all means use them. I’m only familiar with and trust PayPal and Venmo.

Venmo is owned by a division of PayPal. It’s basically a social version of money exchange. My wife and some of our friends use it and can see, do instance, who has paid back whom after a meal where one person pays and the rest Venmo their share. While this appeals to my Facebooking wife, it holds zero appeal for me.

I use PayPal maybe once per year for forum or local purchases and maybe 20+ times per year online, where it’s accepted. All I can say is what’s already been said: don’t send money for free (ie, friends and family) unless you 100% trust the person you’re buying from. As a seller; however, there is no risk.

Ive only had a few disputes with seller over the years and had my money restored by PayPal or my CC company each time, so to say your money is GONE is wrong. In one instance, a Chinese exchange student sold me a book I needed. What showed up was a spiral-bound copy. He then went back to China. I got my money back after he refused to respond.

I have heard of people losing money using PayPal but haven’t heard of a single friend or family having this issue, so it doesn’t concern me.

Back