Get a load of this--- from your friends at a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tri-state (NY NJ CN) (relatively small) chain auto parts store. Those who live aroound here will know exactly who I am talking about. This is a copy of the letter sent to their customer service department today:

Hello
Yesterday afternoon just prior to the blizzard getting underway I visited the XXXX Auto Store on Route 46 Dover NJ and dealt with an older man (50's-60 years old) at the service counter. The service I was requesting was to mount and balance 2 snow tires on regular steel wheels, as well as install 2 new valve stems. The gentleman handed me a printout from the computer for $101.43. Having 4 cars on the road, mounting and balancing tires is a service I have performed at other locations several times a year, so I am aware of the approximate prices charged for these services.
My reaction to the price he presented was, "you just really do not want to do the service, do you?" His response was, this was the regular price, and this is what happens when you purchase tires from Tire Rack and want them mounted and balanced here.
Today, I took the tires to the local Shell station and the total price for mounting/balancing/new valve stems, out the door, including tax was $ 47.44
Let me tell you my thoughts:
Either the gentleman was price gouging because a large snowstorm was eminent, or he really has a problem with installing tires not purchased at his store.
Because of these actions, I will let you know, I will not be shopping at any XXX Auto stores in the future-you have lost my business for a lifetime, with the one simple action of this individual employee.
I will however, look for rock botom sale prices in your circular where I know I cannot find the product any cheaper, anywhere, but will NOT purchase anything else but what was on sale at that low price. I'll load up on buying the motor oil that is on sale at a really great price, pay for it using American Express, but will NOT buy the oil filters, wiper blades, or anything you count on people buying because they are in the store buying something on sale.
I have shared my experience will neighbors and friends at work as well.
I think XXX Auto should rexamine it's pricing policies and perhaps offer customer service training on a regular basis.
Steve

The problem with this kind of thing at major or minor chains is that the bean counters cannot count lost revenue from customers that no longer come in.
It is not in the accounting equation....only old time business sense...which has died in a lot of places.

What is XXX? I grew up in Bergen county and do not know who you are speaking of.

Even funnier, I can get the same service done for $31.80 including tax, and they even use a torque wrench on the lugs.
Further, accountants do understand declining revenue, or a lack of revenue growth relative to competitors.
Accounting is best understood by non-acountants as the means by which we keep score of any given entity's performance.
Kind of like a UOA for an enterprise, although current management will always spin bad results as being out of their control, or better than any other management would have done under the circumstances, as some do with bad UOAs and a favorite oil.

TireRack has specials with some store chains (NTB is one of them). I did not know about this, and when I went to NTB to get tires mounted and balanced, the manager said just bring in the paters you received with the tires and they would give me the discount, but they perfer that I have tires directly shipped to there store next time. They even gave me the discount on disposal. NTB also uses a torque wrench to check torque on all lugs.

You go to them and arange to have the tires dilivered to there store from TireRack and you get a special price when you get them mounted, and or balanced. They even give you a disconted price on disposal of the old tire(s) if you do not want them anymore.

And although Wal-Mart is unpopular with some people, I've had carry-in tires mounted, balanced, and installed w/new valve stems for only TWELVE DOLLARS EACH with ZERO grief as long as they were new tires. No additional charge for alloys w/stick-on weights either.

Once I took a steak to my favorite restaurant and wanted it medium well. They wanted to charge me the same price as if they were supplying the meat.How dare they try to make money off me.,,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Once I took a steak to my favorite restaurant and wanted it medium well. They wanted to charge me the same price as if they were supplying the meat.How dare they try to make money off me.,,

Yea I have a similar story...gotten very ill and had to go to the hospital brought my own medicine and a laptop to diagnose what I'm sick with...and they CHARGED me...I'm never going back there ever again.

Originally Posted By: ComfyShorts

Yea I have a similar story...gotten very ill and had to go to the hospital brought my own medicine and a laptop to diagnose what I'm sick with...and they CHARGED me...I'm never going back there ever again.

In both cases, ROFLMAO.
Still, neither is a very good analogy to paying to have a set of tires mounted.
Mounting is usually offered as an unbundled service, at an additional charge to the tire purchase.
Hospitals don't usually offer their services a la carte, and resturants don't normally unbundle cooking from the entre purchase.

Tire Kingdom down here charges $40 to mount and balance a pair of tires up to 17 inch, bigger tires are extra.

I've had zero problems with them mounting my tries from Tire Rack or DTD.

the analogy doesn't work.
a tire shop should be HAPPY to install carry in tires;
1. they don't have to warranty the tires
2. they didn't have to stock the tires
3. the labor is alot higher profit margin that materials cost
the shops that partner w/ tirerack understand this, the old shops (the ones that also close at 5pm and only open til noon on sat)don't 'get' it.

btw, I really don't understand not calling out the shop by name.

Their jacked up prices for carry in service makes their road hazard/mount/balance/disposal cash grab look more reasonable.

"Look, if you get one nail, that's normally $32 to fix... if you get this warranty, you simply cannot lose."

Originally Posted By: ComfyShorts

ROFLMAO, well I never.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back