German innovation on icy roads

My oldest brother drove a school bus between Lake City Colorado and Gunnison 25 years ago. 60 mile one way trip on one of the most dangerous roads in the country during the winter. Deep in the San Juan range of S.W. Colorado Rockies.
His bus had these automatic chains installed back then. Along with seat belts and a full roll cage. I think they had sand dispensers too. Some of the safest school buses in the country. Hinsdale County.
The college in Gunnison lost most of their football team in a school bus accident on Monarch pass back then. Tricky business in the winter up there.

My brother wasn't a career driver. In a small town high in the rockies, you had to take any job you could find in the winter. During the summer, he ran his sandwich shop, was the county assessor, and built custom houses. 😀

Last edited:
My oldest brother drove a school bus between Lake City Colorado and Gunnison 25 years ago. 60 mile one way trip on one of the most dangerous roads in the country during the winter. Deep in the San Juan range of S.W. Colorado Rockies.
His bus had these automatic chains installed back then. Along with seat belts and a full roll cage. I think they had sand dispensers too. Some of the safest school buses in the country. Hinsdale County.
The college in Gunnison lost most of their football team in a school bus accident on Monarch pass back then. Tricky business in the winter up there.
This week proved why trucks and buses need chains. It was an absolute mess on I70, etc. And drivers still don't get it. It is mandatory to have snow chains on I70 until 05/31, and they issued so far more than 1,000 citations to truckers that caused problems.

Yeah, they've had them for class 8 trucks for a long time. Around 20 years ago when I was putting together my last truck I looked into a set. Around $3500 as I recall. I wound up not getting the truck and got a van instead. And never drove where chains were required after that.

This week proved why trucks and buses need chains. It was an absolute mess on I70, etc. And drivers still don't get it. It is mandatory to have snow chains on I70 until 05/31, and they issued so far more than 1,000 citations to truckers that caused problems.

It's not hyperbole. I was watching the road cameras on cotrip with miles of cars and trucks stopped, idling on I-70 near the tunnels in near whiteout conditions just days ago. This is on the interstates with heavy traffic and frequent plows.

It's not hyperbole. I was watching the road cameras on cotrip with miles of cars and trucks stopped, idling on I-70 near the tunnels in near whiteout conditions just days ago. This is on the interstates with heavy traffic and frequent plows.
They got around Eisenhower Tunnel last night around foot.

First I have seen anything like this- deployable snow chains:

Thank you, this will be better than the sanding machines installed between axels. And useful at Norwegian mountains. Hope this apply with Norwegian laws🤔

My brother was a volunteer EMT on an ambulance in Bloomfield, CT over 20 years ago. The ambulance had these.

Neat. Back east I have only seen chains on tires near a ski area call Jay Peak VT that gets 350” snowfall per season.

Delivery trucks like UPS, fedex and school buses there use them.

Back