German Castrol Still Available - USA ?

Originally Posted by Gokhan
The cheap Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, SN sold at Amazon is yet another version -- it is the Malaysian Castrol.

The one I received a couple of weeks ago was made in Belgium.
21.gif

OK, let's put a bottom line on what is currently offered by Castrol.

I had posted the following a year ago. I am repeating it here.

MSDS 463737-DE01: German Castrol 0W-30 C3, PAO-based
MSDS 463737-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-30 C3, PAO-based
MSDS 463737-IT01: Italian Castrol 0W-30 C3, PAO-based
MSDS 463998-DE01: German Castrol 0W-40 C3, PAO-based
MSDS 467337-US65: American Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based
MSDS 467465-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based
MSDS 467465-DE01: German Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based
MSDS 467680-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4, half-PAO-based

Therefore, there are no PAO-based Castrol A3/B4 oils anymore.

However, there is an Belgian/German/Italian Castrol 0W-30 C3 and a German Castrol 0W-40 C3, both of which are PAO-based.

As you can see, the same oil is blended in several locations. The country code in the MSDS is not for where the oil is sold but where it is blended.

The information above is a-year-old. There may be newer oils or some of these oils may have been discontinued. You can search the Castrol MSDS & PDS repository to see if newer oils are offered.

Who is talking about this?
Who cares about C3 oils when we do not have them here? Or you just like reading your own posts and listening your voice in the background? We know this, it is irrelevant!

Originally Posted by drtyler
The Castrol 0W-40 that I have purchased from Amazon has not been made in Malaysia. It was made in Belgium. It is the same as available at Walmart for the about the same price.

Did you order some from Amazon recently to know this firsthand?

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Gokhan,
Curious why 0W40 A3/B4 is much cheaper (half price?) than the 0W30 A3/B4 API SL?
Thanks

Good catch, OilUzer!

The cheap Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, SN sold at Amazon is yet another version -- it is the Malaysian Castrol.

Malaysian Castrol does not contain any PAO at all. It is entirely Group III. That's why it's so cheap.

He does not know firsthand! That is where disconnect is. He never used these oils and as usual, like in every other thread, he is learning on the go.

in regards to Castrol 0W40 A3/B4 (about $4.50/qt) vs. 0W30 A3/B4 (about $10/qt)

I think regardless of the country of origin, Gokhan's post makes sense to me. He says 0W40 is grp iii and 0W30 has pao ... Basically I read it as 0W30 has much more pao.

Typically the more the pao, the higher the price ... Unless some crazy marketing and/or very skewed supply and demand is going on.

For some reason I was not expecting the 0W30 to have that much more pao than 0W40 and that's why I asked the question.

Gokhan,
Curious why 0W40 A3/B4 is much cheaper (half price?) than the 0W30 A3/B4 API SL?
Thanks

Gokhan's post makes sense to me. He says 0W40 is grp iii and 0W30 has pao ...

But that is just not true. They both have some PAO in them, AFAIK.

I'm referring to the A3/B4 stuff, not the C3.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Gokhan's post makes sense to me. He says 0W40 is grp iii and 0W30 has pao ...
But that is just not true. They both have some PAO in them, AFAIK.

I'm referring to the A3/B4 stuff, not the C3.

Here are the PDS's for the SN version of the Castrol A3/B4 0W-40:

PDS for Belgian Castrol A3/B4, SN
PDS for Malaysian Castrol A3/B4, SN

The specs are identical, regardless of the country of the origin. Note that the SN version of the Castrol A3/B4 0W-40 is being made in multiple countries, including Belgium, Germany, Italy, and Malaysia.

The following are the MSDSs. Note that the product sold in Australia is made in Malaysia; the one sold in Germany is made in Germany, and the one sold in Italy is made in Italy. Most countries sell the Belgian-made product:

MSDS's for the SN version of the Castrol A3/B4 0W-40

The only MSDS that is different is for the Malaysian Castrol sold in Australia. However, the PDS for the Malaysian Castrol sold in Australia is identical. Therefore, the lack of PAO in the MSDS for the Malaysian Castrol sold in Australia is an omission (typo).

As I said earlier, if the numerical product code in the MSDS is identical, the formulation is identical, regardless of the country-of-the-origin suffix.

Therefore, to answer OilUzer's question, the low price is then due to the high supply of this oil.

Here is the corrected list, in fact with an MSDS in the Malaysian language for the Malaysian Castrol, correctly showing the PAO content:

MSDS 463737-DE01: German Castrol 0W-30 C3, PAO-based
MSDS 463737-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-30 C3, PAO-based
MSDS 463737-IT01: Italian Castrol 0W-30 C3, PAO-based
MSDS 463998-DE01: German Castrol 0W-40 C3, PAO-based
MSDS 467465-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, SN, half-PAO-based
MSDS 467465-DE01: German Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, SN, half-PAO-based
MSDS 467465-IT01: Italian Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, SN, half-PAO-based
MSDS 467465-MY01: Malaysian Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, SN, half-PAO-based
MSDS 467337-US65: American Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based
MSDS 467465-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based
MSDS 467465-DE01: German Castrol 0W-40 A3/B4, half-PAO-based
MSDS 467680-BE02: Belgian Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4, half-PAO-based

Therefore, to answer OilUzer's question, the low price is then due to the high supply of this oil.

FWIW, the 5qt jugs of Edge 0W-40 A3/B4 have been going on sale for less than $20 for years. A lot of high supply...

in regards to Castrol 0W40 A3/B4 (about $4.50/qt) vs. 0W30 A3/B4 (about $10/qt)

I think regardless of the country of origin, Gokhan's post makes sense to me. He says 0W40 is grp iii and 0W30 has pao ... Basically I read it as 0W30 has much more pao.

Typically the more the pao, the higher the price ... Unless some crazy marketing and/or very skewed supply and demand is going on.

For some reason I was not expecting the 0W30 to have that much more pao than 0W40 and that's why I asked the question.

Gokhan,
Thanks

Both 0W30 and 0W40 have PAO between 25 and 50%. Those are oils on the US market which is what we are concern about. 0W30 is Made in Belgium and 0W40 in 5qt jugs is Made in Germany. Sometimes 1qt bottles of 0W40 are Made in Germany or Belgium. That is what we are concerned, not Italian Castrol or Malyasian Castrol.
Why lower price? Bcs. of market share wars between major oil manufacturers, not supply. Bcs. of long term brand loyalty, bcs. economics of scale.

I still have about 30 quarts of the original GTX German green 0w30 from the time. For sale, local pickup, Novi MI. PM me if interested.
Jim.

Fixed it for you.....
You still have about 30 quarts of the original GTX German green 0w30, that's now turned into Michigan Mold black & green floaties 0w30.

I'm guessing you have a Collectors Item that's worth a President William McKinley greenback.
Put it for sale in our Sales & Promotions Board Room here.

I miss the days of GC 0w30! Green oil that smelled like gummy bears and was so hard to find for a lot of people, and when you did find it you had to hoard it! I remember having over 70 liters of it at one point right around the time that it was starting to get replaced with the gold version that wasn't as good. I wasn't the first one to spot this oil on the shelves here, that honor goes to member Dr T, who actually lived pretty close to me at the time and I would see him around often in his BMW 850i. I was the first person here to put it in a car and get the first UOA on it though. That oil was the darling of this site for a long time, and for good reason too, it tested very well in UOAs and many people (myself included) reported much lower consumption with this oil.

CT a few months ago ‘cleared out’ Edge 0W-30, so I thought it was gone.
As the new parts manager for a CT; I was going through back room stock and ‘found’ 6-newly order litres of Edge 0W-30 A3/B3 just the other day.
So, it is not gone…it is still an SL-rated, 3.5 HT/HS 0W-30. The add pack has changed, we have seen it posted here, but it is still a very stout oil.
$18/quart, tho! 😳

I fondly remember the "Elixir of the Gods". Had three dozen bottles of GC on my shelf at one time (I gotta dig up that photo), but interestingly I never had trouble finding it for sale. I could buy it 7 days a week at local Walmart and Canadian Tire stores.

It wasn't good because it was German, but its country of origin was certainly the reason why we called it German Castrol.

I hate to say this, but I used up the last of my stash in the lawn mower (bought in 2003) and generator (bought in 2007) and both are still running well today.

Last edited:
Reactions: SR5
Castrol was the BUMS that messed up oil classes when they were selling Syntec as a SYNTHETIC BEFORE the ruling changed things!! everyone is GREEDY these days + bigger companies with OVERPAID execs are prolly the WORSE IMO!!!

I purchased some a few weeks ago from this online outfit in Canada. The production code reads 23262 (Sept 19/2023) Unfortunately the 50% off MSRP sale is over.

View attachment 206672

View attachment 206673

View attachment 206674
Cool! As interesting as this is, time marches on. I have switched to Shell Euro LX 0W-30, aka Canadian Tire Motomaster 0W-30. It is currently on sale for $36.99/5L jug. That works out to $7.40/litre.

Motomaster 0W-30_1276.jpg

Back