German Castrol 0w-30 at Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but they only put it on sale a couple of times a year. I bought GC on their oil change special last year: $32 for 5 qts and a Bosch Premium filter.

Last K&N oil filter I looked at was made in Asia somewhere. Put it back on the shelf immediately. Not going to pay top dollar for an Asian made oil filter. I won't be buying any high dollar oil change specials with those filters either.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
Last K&N oil filter I looked at was made in Asia somewhere. Put it back on the shelf immediately. Not going to pay top dollar for an Asian made oil filter. I won't be buying any high dollar oil change specials with those filters either.

The production facility changed, but the cutaways some have posted on here revealed it's still an excellent filter.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart

The production facility changed, but the cutaways some have posted on here revealed it's still an excellent filter.

Yes. But for the same money I can purchase a similar quality US made filter. Or I can purchase an off shore produced filter for less. I'm not going to reward K&N for sourcing their product off shore and keeping all the cost savings.

Oh, Belgian castrol now? Is the Belgian one better or worse than the German castrol? Germany makes good cars! but never heard about Belgian cars! will a Belgian made European formula castrol be worse than the German made castrol?

Originally Posted By: engineer20
Oh, Belgian castrol now? Is the Belgian one better or worse than the German castrol? Germany makes good cars! but never heard about Belgian cars! will a Belgian made European formula castrol be worse than the German made castrol?

The country it is blended/bottled in is irrelevant, but there are way too many people on here that think I'm full of it when I say things like that. People just can't seem to let go of the ancient green Castrol Syntec 0w30 that was blended in Germany (it hasn't been produced for a long time now).

The truth is that manufacturers move to different production facilities all the time. There is nothing inherently better or worse about Belgium versus Germany when it comes to oil blending and bottling.

Is the European castrol much better than the us castrol since it's a true synthetic, group four? Or is it similar to 5w30 regular castrol edge formerly syntec? Is European castrol really that much better?

The fact that it is Group IV makes it better?

Is the European castrol much better than the us castrol since it's a true synthetic, group four? Or is it similar to 5w30 regular castrol edge formerly syntec? Is European castrol really that much better?

What does that mean? Why is it better and how is it different, and why does that matter?

Better base oil so it's more of a real synthetic whereas castrol us formula had lawsuits against it saying it wasn't a real synthetic

Good news, at an alternate auto zine they had German castrol ! It was the old castrol edge bottle that emphasizes "formerly syntec" rather than the new all black bottle, the bottle is black but it has a large green and white part on the front so it's the old bottle and it was made in Germany! I checked out the autozone i frequent and they had Belgian made castrol in the new castrol bottle. The alternate castrol was in more of a rural area with a lower population, so it's understandable why older stuff was on their shelves , whereas in an urban area, that stuff would quickly be gone and they'd have to constantly restock so there wouldn't be any old oil like the German castrol I found. It doesn't have the Ali donut on it and neither does the 0w40 and it wasn't resource conserving, so is this bad?

Excuse the typos, it's the ipad

German Castrol 0w30 was never resource-conserving because it's a heavy 30-weight, and was always an SL-rated oil because its ZDDP content was never lowered to conform to SM and SN. This is why many people like it.

so is this bad?

It's only bad if your engine manufacturer calls for API SM/SN energy conserving oil. If so, then German Castrol is not for you.

People buy GC because it meets many of the stringent Euro specs. The API specs it meets (or does not meet) are irrelevant to them.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
so is this bad?

It's only bad if your engine manufacturer calls for API SM/SN energy conserving oil. If so, then German Castrol is not for you.

People buy GC because it meets many of the stringent Euro specs. The API specs it meets (or does not meet) are irrelevant to them.

Yes...Engineer20 buys the wrong spec coolant, the wrong plugs, the wrong oil...this after dozens of pages of advice...there's nothing E20 won't do to destroy a bullet proof Camry so he can then blame Toyota for making such a bad car.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
so is this bad?

Yes...Engineer20 buys the wrong spec coolant, the wrong plugs, the wrong oil...this after dozens of pages of advice...there's nothing E20 won't do to destroy a bullet proof Camry so he can then blame Toyota for making such a bad car.

Germ Castrol will work in any car. It meets the toughest specs. The extra HTHS won't hurt anything I can think of out there, even vehicles calling for 0w-20. I've never seen any evidence of engines exploding or bad UOAs using a slightly heavier oil like that. Its not "the wrong oil" in my view.

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
The extra HTHS won't hurt anything I can think of out there, even vehicles calling for 0w-20.

It might hurt his fuel economy, which in turn might hurt his wallet. How much, I don't know. Possibly not much. But there is absolutely no benefit in his case to running high HT/HS oil, so why bother?

I'd guess the OP will get lower wear in those ageing Mazdas switching to 0w-30, along with less deposits and sludge, given all the Mercedes tests that oil passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back