Generator storage questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All!

Recent generator purchaser here and have a couple of questions on storage. I picked up a Harbor Freight 5.5kw unit as our power has been pretty wonky around here lately and with a finished basement we need to keep the sump running no matter what. Working in IT, I know generator tests are needed (ours at work is automatic) to ensure they work when you need them most.

So I'm wondering if my storage regimen makes sense. The plan is to run it every month for an hour with either a 500w shop light and/or space heater for about an hour while I cut the grass. This way the neighbors won't object.
smile.gif

I've got 10 gallons of gas treated with StaBil that I will rotate through the cars every 6 months or so (cans are dated) and I've got the generator's gas tank 1/2 - 3/4 full with treated gas. I figure this will give me about 15 gallons of gas and about a day of runtime before I need to look for gas.

For shutdown, I just shut the unit off, didn't flip the fuel cutoff and run it dry. I figure with the monthly runs this is not needed as I'll run the tank dry and then fill up with fresh treated gas.

Plugs will get changed yearly when I do the lawn mower, weed whacker, etc. Oil will get changed at least once a year or 50 hours which ever comes first. After this next oil change, I'll probably switch to Synthetic (unit only has 4-5 hours on it now).

Does this make sense? Is it the best way to keep the unit running in tip top shape?

Thanks for any and all responses.

I don't see a need to change spark plugs. But I would keep a couple extras around.

Take note of fuel's Vapor Pressure, it is what helps it light off in winter. Assuming your cans are modern EPA they should seal tight and keep the most volatile fumes in. Your generator may not be as tightly sealed.

I would concentrate your fuel buying into the fall and winter seasons. These generators have gravity feed fuel systems and shouldn't vapor lock in summer. I generally buy "can fuel" in March, Sept, and December for this reason. Mar-Apr and Sept-Nov are "anything goes" for fuel and it should be cheaper. IMO they would make gas "more vaporous" if they were allowed, which is why I make a september purchase, right around now.

The Chonda engine has a great choke and should start well on anything, but of course fresh and the best is the way to go.

Personally, I'd say stick with regular oil. I've owned two Chinese Honda-clone engines (one in a generator) and their oil seals leak. I don't think they have their rubber formulae worked out yet, and I think a diet of cheap mineral oil is what their engineers work to. I doubt mainland China has had much experience meeting our emissions and environmental regulations. Or, maybe I'm off-base and their seals leak on any oil.

A washing machine is a good, variable load for a generator. 1/2 HP motor, starts and stops several times. You can find out early if your genset will fail to start your refrigerator compressor.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I plan on changing the spark plug as the feeling is that the Torch or whatever on these engines are really junk. And it's easier to get everything on the same yearly schedule.

I was thinking synthetic since I also have heard that these engines have the plastic cam gears and would like to keep them protected. But if it's going to leak, I'll just use a good quality Dino oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back