generator sounddeadening shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you add a car muffler it would be a great idea to have it outside of the box. Any add on muffler will throw off a lot of radiated and natural convection heat. The larger the muffler, the more heat it will throw off.

If it ends up being a non movable structure think of how it will perform in extreme conditions such as:

1) The hottest days of the year.

2) Days when it is pouring rain.

3) During a big snow storm.

4) Also imagine an initial start with a very deep snow already on the ground.

5) After an ice storm. Are there any big trees or big tree limbs that are likely to fall towards the genset when a couple extra hundreds of pounds of ice settles on them? Ice storms are rare, but when they hit they hit big time. And ice storms have hit in all four directions of the compass from Pennsylvania. I would put the chances of being hit big time by an ice storm in Pennsylvania at something like 50/50 in ones life time. It may never happen, it could happen anytime the weather is below freezing, and it could happen the next time the weather stays below freezing for several hours.

I have never needed to run a generator at night time. I shut it down 11PM to 6AM. I would try the generator without a shelter and see how it goes. BTW there is no real standard for measuring sound with respect to a generator.

I would extend muffler and pipe outside the shelter if you go with a shelter.

Given its a power failure situation, I do not think too many neighbors would complain if you ran it 6AM TO 11PM.

Bigger generators need bigger chain to prevent theft.

The gen set is here and I am setting it up. I'll get it running then next week I have an electrician coming in to wire it to the house. then I am going to start working on a shed/shelter

I have a question now that someone may know here. The battery ground for the electric start was missing the negative wire. I made one up and I grounded it from the battery neg terminal to the same bolt you would to ground the generator to a earth grounding rod.

I am questioning my method as there are no instructions for the battery ground and Duromax doesn't answer their phone. So grounding to that bolt, is that the same as grounding to the frame?

I am not going to start the rig until I am sure that is okay. Anyone?...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
If it ends up being a non movable structure think of how it will perform in extreme conditions such as:

1) The hottest days of the year.

2) Days when it is pouring rain.

3) During a big snow storm.

4) Also imagine an initial start with a very deep snow already on the ground.

5) After an ice storm. Are there any big trees or big tree limbs that are likely to fall towards the genset when a couple extra hundreds of pounds of ice settles on them? Ice storms are rare, but when they hit they hit big time. And ice storms have hit in all four directions of the compass from Pennsylvania. I would put the chances of being hit big time by an ice storm in Pennsylvania at something like 50/50 in ones life time. It may never happen, it could happen anytime the weather is below freezing, and it could happen the next time the weather stays below freezing for several hours.

Yup all those things are considerations. I'm taking notes but where I will operate the gen set from there is no trees or flammable anything to cause a problem. Actually we get a lot of ice storms as we are often on the rain snow line of weather patterns.

Donald, You make a good point. I am still going to try to soundproof just because I am that curious about how much I can quiet it down.

By the time you take all the venting into account, your sound deadening will be minimal at best. When all the power is out and it's silent outside (no city noises, no radios or televisions) your neighbors will still hear your generator loud and clear despite your efforts.

The neighbors should understand that in a power outage you're going to run a generator to power your home. They can just as easily run their own generator or close their windows.

We have a whole house generator, and when it runs we can't hear it inside unless a window or door is open. It sits behind the attached garage, about 60 feet from our bedroom windows. If closing our windows keeps the sound out from a large generator at that close distance, your neighbors should be fine with your generator at even further distances.

It could attenuate some sound, but youre right.

And in the zombie apocalypse that sound will be clear and draw people willing to slit a throat for some electricity...

Okay, so for now this will be my last post until after I try my idea.

I have given up on sound deadening for now. I'm spending too much money and too much time on this project (I'm exhausted). So I was going to make a makeshift frame and tent out of pvc, tarp and stakes for weather protection; when I stumbled upon a pre-made plastic greenhouse with an open floor, 2 door openings, and a couple of screen windows. That should be plenty of air and circulation. I can anchor this thing on the lawn 10 feet from the garage and outlet/inlet and stake it to the ground for rain and snow proofing. According to the reviews it should work. the only negative review was a guy who wasn't happy that it started to disintegrate in the california sun after 2 seasons.

It will only be out for 1 to 7 days at a time then fold up and store away.

The gen set is a lot quieter than my neighbors, it has a big muffler on it and you can have a normal conversation right next to it. So 100 ft away they shouldn't hear much.

One more thing. Because I am afeared that I might get electrocuted, I'm going to get a slab of 2 inch rigid insulation to set down on the ground under the gen set. and me for standing so as not to be a human lightning rod!

here's the link $179

754915706082lg.jpg
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/754915/754915706082lg.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GhostFlame

One more thing. Because I am afeared that I might get electrocuted, I'm going to get a slab of 2 inch rigid insulation to set down on the ground under the gen set. and me for standing so as not to be a human lightning rod!

how about a safer approach? Hammer a metal rod, a few feet long, into the earth right next to your generator stand. Clamp a good thick wire to it, and bolt that to the gen frame when in use. It's a Real ground, and it's actually the proper way to do it. The genset will have a provision for this connection on its frame. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back