General Tire's Exclaim UHP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure they are silica enhanced ( as are most modern tires), but it is obvious from my personal use of the tire that it is designed more for summer use than winter use. I left these tires on last year and lo and behold when it dropped below about 40 degrees outside (snow or not) the tires lost almost all traction and wore incredibly quickly. This indicated to me that the rubber compound was not designed for cold use. Siping would help increase the cold grip a bit, but would only be a band-aid to overcome a poor design for colder weather.

Jon

Quote:

M+S

Who cares? If I put M+S on the side of a set of Kumho Ecsta V70As would you run them in the winter? According to Kumho they have an "Advanced Silica tread compounding for superior wet & dry traction and handling" which by your previous logic makes them alright to use in the winter (if you sipe them
laugh.gif
).

Tire Rack: "We do not suggest Exclaim UHP tires be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Wonder who I should trust?
chairs.gif

Jon

Last edited:
Well, if YOU put the M+S stamp on them with like a marker or something...it would be a great honour to run them in the winter. I could ONLY trust someone who took the time to research a one-line blurb on an internet, not the manufacturer or someone actually driving on them after a modification from their original state. Hey, if the rubber gets hard, so what? At least I'll get good wear, lol.

Dude, I'll put my resume' of experience with all-season tires against anyone's. SOMEONE has to try things in REAL-LIFE and use subjective judgments rather than repeating internet wisdom like a lobotomy patient/internet scientist.

I predict that I'll get the desired effect with them on the rear of my car, with good tread and sipes. If they are not too great, I'll drive more carefully and lesson learned. So what? One other point not in play is also the fact I have a set of *new* mounted snows sitting in front of me. Still think I am crazy to risk putting my M+S labeled on the rear with a lil siping? I think I'll be fine and got to try a new tire I wanted.

I already ran them in cold weather and they sucked. Did you miss that part? Also, I don't see the point in wasting money on a set of tires so you can use them outside of their design range when you could've saved the money and bought four matching tires (which any "expert" would recommend) that were designed by an tire manufacturer (not your backyard shop) to do the job? Somehow I am guessing REAL WORLD scientists would agree with the Tire Rack (considering the fact that they may have a few more data points), you being an A/S tire expert or not.

Even as an expert you may not understand what happens to rubber when it hardens in the cold (hint, it doesn't last longer) so I will direct you to some information from Continental Tire(who just happens to own General Tire).

"Those heading into the winter season with summer tires reduce mileage performance by up to 20 percent," says Dr. Holger Lange, winter tire developer at automotive supplier Continental. The reason: The rubber compound used in summer tires can stiffen already when ground temperatures drop below seven degrees Celsius. The consequence is much higher wear.

Would you like me to do more internet research for you or speak from personal experience with over 50 sets (I get mine 4 at a time so I can see how they actually effect the balance of the car) of tires in the past 10 years (it is a fetish of mine that surpasses that for oil)? I'll happily put my real world knowledge against yours any day.

Weren't you just selling Bstone Turanza EL41's and telling potential customers they were good in wet conditions? Seems to me not many people who have owned them agree according to those darn real life surveys from the Tire Rack, backed up by my personal experience with two different sets on two different cars (in a somewhat wet climate
wink.gif
).

Jon

Well, yeah...could you point out where you plainly stated that you used them already in the cold/wet? Even w/a re-read I did not see that. Even if you had told me so before I installed them, I would have still done it. Not because your opinon did not matter to me, but I WANTED to try them in moderate temps. I'm glad I did try them too because of the particular situation with my car. Simple, and I already thought about it all by myself.

Not taking an overly-corrective position toward other people's actions and decisions is the final frontier in getting along. Having and knowing decent information is one thing, presenting it to others in a positive format they are happy to accecss is another. I was not fully aware you had used these same tires as I planned (minus sipes) rather than speculating about them, I might have responded differently to you. That being said, consider how much credit you gave me for making my own informed decision based on my needs and the mfg's M+S stamp plus the fact I was going to further modify them. That's lot of factors, known only to the person making the decision. So, after all that, maybe I'll sipe them a lil harder now, thanks. -Clark

btw- for mine and wife's car, I have five mounted sets right now. I've owned 16 Audis, about 5 VWs, 3-4 Hondas and done all the tire buying for immediate family over the last 15 years. We drive on local roads in all conditions, fifty thousand miles a year. If I made a list of all the a/s tires I've used, from new cars and ones that come on used cars plus what I've bought, it adds up to boggle the mind. Those EL-41s came off my Accord with a few 100 miles on the car. Plus sized to the Exclaims. Are you still running oems? Not those horrible Turanzas? Hmm.

Yeah, sometimes I lack in the courteous communication department, I apologize. The Accord is currently running on 215/50R17 Yokohama S.drives (too early to say whether they are good or not, they replaced a set of Ecsta SPTs that I liked a lot) on 17x7.5 Enkei JS-Ms for the summer and has a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s on the way for the stock rims. My egg is currently riding on 15" Falken Hanabi rims with 225/50R15 Hankook RS2 tires and will be getting a set of Blizzak Revo1s once the temperature dips below 50 degrees Farenheit consistently. I used the Exclaim UHP on my dearly beloved but departed STi and wasn't happy with them in the cold/wet even with AWD although I didn't sipe them.

Jon

Quote:

but the top dog in the UHPAS category right now is the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position.

Acctualy if you look at the test results, this tires are never in the first place, sometimes not even in second. but they always state theat their wet performance among the best. very last test against goodyear eagle f1 A/S sucked for them.

Quote:

Quote:

but the top dog in the UHPAS category right now is the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position.

Acctualy if you look at the test results, this tires are never in the first place, sometimes not even in second. but they always state theat their wet performance among the best. very last test against goodyear eagle f1 A/S sucked for them.

You missed a few posts down where I rescinded that statement, if this board allowed edits beyond 3-4 hours I would've edited it as well.

Jon

I just bought a set. They will be seeing cold temps, rain, and possibly light snow. Will post back with initial impressions.

Wow. The guys on AudiWorld are beating me up over these tires. They are into MAX Performance tires esp the Eagle GS-D3. You know the mindset ONLY the BEST will do. Well, the "best" is subjective and they are talking about tracking their cars and such. How hard can you safely drive on the street that you are breaking loose with UHP or MaxP tires? They also forget about ride and other real-world considerations.
So, I'd be carefull in cold/wet. What kind of car anyway? I have them on front of my Accord Coupe.

Quote:

Wow. The guys on AudiWorld are beating me up over these tires.

You're such a cry baby.
laugh.gif

Quote:

They also forget about ride and other real-world considerations.

Not forgetting. They just had other clearly specified priorities defined. Ride was not one of them. You recommended a tire that didn't meet those priorities very well.

See!!! See what I mean?

lol, suddenly I'm aprehensive about recommending ANY tire.

ftr- the AW OP did not define specific needs until later, when you asked him. He simply listed a bunch of tires that all ~happened~ to be MP and I did not realize that, recommeding a good UHP that I was currently using. It's rated #1 in it's catagory, along with 2 other Eagle GS which rated poorly. The GS-D3, which every one loves is in a seperate catagory. Really, I simply listed the name of a tire that is somwhat comparable to the ones the OP listed, which included Nittos and P-Zero after first stating he was "undecided" about which tires to buy, albeit he did provided list, which I veered from. (pun intended)

LOL! Take it easy.
smile.gif
I do agree with you that 99% of the time, MP tires are not needed on the street, and you're just paying for something that you will barely ever use.

They are going onto my Hyundai Elantra. This car does have basic handling modifications that make it a ball to drive. I'm not worried so much about winter performance, since the snow tires are going on at Thanksgiving. A random snowstorm has been known to happen before that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back