General Grabber AT2 on 2018 Tacoma

So after 40 k miles of rough urban roads, high speed interstate and highway, and starting off on course caliche, some on brushed concrete and a little bit of dirt and sand the original equipment Goodyear wrangler Adventure ATs we’re getting close to the wear bars and I wasn’t feeling happy with rain performance at speed. They had chips and mulitple patch plug repairs. They were decent tires but seemEd prone to pick up nails, wire and other objects off the road and impale themselves. Never had a set of tires with that many punctures.
Last week I got an alignment At NTB, it really needed it I had toe out up front. Truck tracksway better now lol. Istruggle with the Tire decision due to the highway miles I have been doing, but I still use it for fishing the beach and it sees some off pavement use, that’s why I own 4 wheel drives. So I made the decision to get an all terrain and favor the terrain over the highway.

Initial impressions are they are a stiffer tire, I felt less body roll as I made a Left turn departing discount tire. As expected there is more tire hum but no more than the Nitto Terra Grapplers on the 4Runner. This mornings commute to work with them was uneventful. Currently have 35 psi in them and will play with that. I was Running 32 in the Goodyear’s that I had taken off.
Visually, to be honest these look much better on the TRD off-road Tacoma than the Goodyear AT labeled highway tires. They are not Generals newest version (not available in. Y size and rating)But they have a 60k warranty and a great rebate right now of 100 for the set.

I will follow up with benchmarks and updates.

Attachments

• 9E564D45-CCA7-4859-8797-8D5692043A98.jpeg
    9E564D45-CCA7-4859-8797-8D5692043A98.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Punctures are caused be either bad luck/not being observent of the road ahead, or a combination of both. Your previous tire has widely good reviews.

Punctures are caused be either bad luck/not being observent of the road ahead, or a combination of both. Your previous tire has widely good reviews.

My personal experience includes a lot of recreational and work related off-road driving. I have a few decades of experience with different tires in different severe environments to compare to, I trust my expireince.

With these last tires I drove mostly highways and country roads. A lot of oil field areas but Most of my punctures were picked up off of the interstate and urban streets With the goodyears. I thought they gave me good service life regardless and I did abuse them some when they were new by putting miles on caliche.
The only negative was the inconvenient tendency to hold objects In the voids and let them work into the tire.

- update on the new tires
The goodyears always carried small bits of gravel (Usually the tiny 1/8” and smaller bits) and were a pain to drive accross flight lines where all gravel had to be meticulously removed Before entering certain areas.
The larger voids and deep tread of the new tires did not pick up any gravel at work or when I drove home. That is a huge positive. I am betting they will pick up larger pieces of gravel in the mountains if I go up that way. That was how the similar BFG ats behaved.

On the one hand they will do fine for light off-roading. On the other hand you replaced your old set for poor rain performance and that AT2 tread pattern is worse than average for rain, instead you'd want more straight, circumferential grooves and sipes. No doubt they will perform better than old, worn out tires, even more so with the correct alignment, but for rain performance you will need to replace them sooner than most, but that beats getting stuck from lower traction off road.

The same small voids and biting edges that catch tiny gravel, are also directly responsible for improved rain performance. Given same compound it's always a trade off and I'd rather have a few pieces of gravel than lose traction.

Even the same tire new with more air vs old with no tread will feel stiffer cornering, though a little squiggly steering with big tread blocks until the edges wear.

I'm sure you'll be happy with them, if something else was more appropriate for your uses then you would have bought something else. People who think they can have it "all" , have a short list of what "all" is. ;)

On the one hand they will do fine for light off-roading. On the other hand you replaced your old set for poor rain performance and that AT2 tread pattern is worse than average for rain, instead you'd want more straight, circumferential grooves and sipes. No doubt they will perform better than old, worn out tires, even more so with the correct alignment, but for rain performance you will need to replace them sooner than most, but that beats getting stuck from lower traction off road.

The same small voids and biting edges that catch tiny gravel, are also directly responsible for improved rain performance. Given same compound it's always a trade off and I'd rather have a few pieces of gravel than lose traction.

Even the same tire new with more air vs old with no tread will feel stiffer cornering, though a little squiggly steering with big tread blocks until the edges wear.

I'm sure you'll be happy with them, if something else was more appropriate for your uses then you would have bought something else. People who think they can have it "all" , have a short list of what "all" is. ;)

They are a compromise everything is. right down to the truck they are mounted on. There just brought the tires up to the capability it should have came with.
I have been in some extreme rain and snow with BFG ats in my FJ cruiser on and off-road (mountains)and never had a problem. that’s why I went with these near copies for what turns out to be 125 less a tire.
I also considered the Nitto terra grapplers but they lacked a mI leave warranty Like the bfg ats.

I ran the General At2's on my F150 for 60k miles. They served my needs very well and I had 60k on them before replacement. Could have went longer as they measured at 5/32 when I replaced them. They definitely did throw large rocks when I was living on a gravel road though.

I ran the General At2's on my F150 for 60k miles. They served my needs very well and I had 60k on them before replacement. Could have went longer as they measured at 5/32 when I replaced them. They definitely did throw large rocks when I was living on a gravel road though.
Good to hear. thank you thats a good run.

Back