General GMAX AS-05 reviews?

Hi everyone,
I am currently in the market for new tires for my 2019 VW GLI. My car currently has 10,000 miles on the stock Hankook Kinergy tires. The stock tires are beyond awful is every aspect, hence why I want to change them.
I have spent countless hours researching tires, and I keep landing on the GMAX AS-05 tires. Does anyone have real world experience with these tires? Are they worth the money? I don't use the car is snow/salt conditions, but I do drive it in the rain......the Kinergy's make me nervous in the rain!
Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

First off, go to the link in my signature below on my car so you know what kind of car I had my GMAX AS-05 tires on. Whoops, have to go, my wife is having a grouting issue. I will post tomorrow morning.

I probably wrote about them on here once or twice. My wife has a 2015 Audi A4 quattro. She had those Generals on it. They were made in Portugal.
The tires were somewhat louder and had a growl over the OEM's. Better in the wet than the OEM's for sure. In fact the Generals were better in the wet than the Yokohamas that replaced them. I prefer the Yokohamas as they are quiet and smooth.

To note, I once owned a 2013 VW GTI and had Continental Sure Contact RX's on it. I thought the Contis were better. I would avoid the Discount Tire Exclusive Conti SRS version.

Something to consider is using the Tire Racks tire mobile tire install service called ASAP Tire if available to you. My wife had the Yokohamas
installed in our driveway from them and it turned out great.

Hi everyone,
I am currently in the market for new tires for my 2019 VW GLI. My car currently has 10,000 miles on the stock Hankook Kinergy tires. The stock tires are beyond awful is every aspect, hence why I want to change them.
I have spent countless hours researching tires, and I keep landing on the GMAX AS-05 tires. Does anyone have real world experience with these tires? Are they worth the money? I don't use the car is snow/salt conditions, but I do drive it in the rain......the Kinergy's make me nervous in the rain!
Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!
A friend of mine had a 2019 GLI, and I can confirm, those Hankook Kinergy have no business being on that car. I think the AS-05 will be a big step in the right direction, if you're concerned with performance. They also offer a great value amongst the high performance all seasons. But that is what it comes down to... What kind of driving you do.

Where are you driving?
What are your priorities?

No snow. Why do you mention “no salt”?
Any ice?
Why all seasons? Longer wear than summers?

Krzyś

I loved my G-MAX A/S-05s, in fact I still have then at about half tread in the garage and might throw them back on as a test. I wanted a better dry sticking tire so I swapped the G-MAX's out for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I have those on for 2 years as a spring, summer, and fall tire with my summer rims. I chose 500 wear All Season tires for their longevity, as I have a friend who drives about as hard as I do and goes through a set of Pilot Sport 4S in a year. I can't afford that and I like switching out to my summer rims very early spring and leaving them on till the second snow fall. NOT something a summer tire can do without ending up in a ditch flipped over.

Driving home with the PS 3+'s my first thoughts were "oh crap these tires feel so sluggish (38 psi), am I going to have to sell these right away" Then the next thought was give it time to get the mold lube layer off the tire (100 miles). While it helped the PS 3+s never turned out to be a responsive tire, even with a bit more then 1/2 tread gone. They grip a bit better and do brake better, but there is always a trust factor of not knowing where their grip will be in a semi known corner, let alone an unknown corner. The G-MAX's are very responsive darty tires. They make my tuner Kona feel like a full blown street racer where the PS 3+'s feel un-responsive. (now PS A/S 4 which are better, but just how much better?) said to be the best A/S street dry performance tire. But are they?

Well, that's were I want to put my G-MAX back on and test the 1/2 tread tire side by side. I already know the fun factor/enjoyment factor of the G-MAX will win out hands down by 4 fold. When I first switched to the PS 3+, the difference was so drastic for me for the bad. I kept with them because I knew I had to wear them 1/2 tread to get them in a happy performance zone. Well at the end of the year I kept thinking about the G-MAX and how I could out drive the tire , but I had so much feel of the car I think I was faster in the corners because the PS 3+ was a dead feeling tire and I would always come into the corners under speed, where the G-MAX I may be over confident but could scrub the speed down if I was a little hot. I love the PS3+ sidewall appearance, were the G-MAX look like crap after rounding out the out edge, the look like donuts. Even with 1.5 negative camber. After writing this, I will be putting the G-MAX back on, as I have such great memory's, I want to see if I should go with Michelin PS A/S 4's or keep the G-Max. It would be nice to see an updated G-MAX A/S-05 in the near future.

Last edited:
The G05 are a great tire if you can get them cheap enough. My only complaint was the fast wear as they did not last long on my sisters 2010 Malibu. The stock Goodyear LS2, Goodyear Assurance All Seasons, and General Altimax Artics all lasted significantly longer than the G05. The tread design also caused the tread blocks to wear out a lot faster than the inside. Traction in the wet and dry was always good. Noise levels were average, not noisy but not quiet either. The Michelin CrossClimate 2s that replaced them were noticeably quieter.

If longevity and an ultra-quiet ride aren't your top priorities, these tires should do you well.

These are great tires. Had the pleasure of installing them on a Infiniti Q50. I believe they are rated for 40k miles but most tires in this performance category aren’t any better in terms of longevity. If I remember correctly, their sidewall is a bit softer than other high end competitors in this performance category sacrificing a bit cornering while boosting driving comfort. In terms of performance, they performed well on the street on the Infiniti Q50 while being a lead foot driver.

General tires is my go to brand on tires for cars and trucks. I’ve owned various sets of the RT43 model and HTS60 on a truck and they have all been phenomenal. All my friends and relatives put these on their cars.

We try to buy them when there is a rebate and other incentives from discount tire direct.

For the money, they can’t be beat and are owner by Continental.

You can view the performance chart on tire rack to see their ratings in their performance category versus competitors.

Last edited:
Great tire, so much so that I bought them for two different cars.
I used them on my Fiat 500 Abarth to daily drive and auto-X with
I have them on my Buick Tour-X daily

GREAT wet traction
so-so snow traction - will get you home in light snow, but not a strong suit
soft on the sidewalls for true performance driving - must run max sidewall pressure for aggressive cornering
wears very fast on tire edges during aggressive cornering
very predictable at the limits - lets go in a predictable and controllable manner
balances well
good on center feel
the 500 pulled to one side when a front tire was mounted backwards

Really like the tire for the price.

I would also take a look at Sumitomo HTRs. Ran those for 31k miles on my last VW (2014 Jetta TDI) and they were fantastic in every way, and very thriftily priced.

You may still find them at Wal-mart, not sure of the exact size you're looking for (thinking 18"): see here

Back