General Altimax RT43

RT43's are a great tire for your average family car or crossover. Since the price increased we just paid a little more and gone to upper end Conti's, like the purecontact LS, which were actually a little cheaper per mile after rebates (rare on Generals) and because of their longer life . Next tires set will be Michelin CrossClimates, since I'm getting tired of changing to snow tires every season.

Is it me, or has the treadlife went down? Installed two sets, one on the wife’s car, one on the daughters. 25-30k and they are done. Neither are hard drivers, especially th3 wife.

I've never gotten more than 40k out of a set of RT43's, by then they are at 4/32's and wet traction is suffering. I will say that the Michelin's seem to do better with wet traction with even less tread, but when RT43's were introduced & cheap, they were my go-to. Still my go-to but I might think about getting something else next time, if the pricing is better.

I like the snow capability of the RT43's but now that I have a garage and can whip on a set of snows in relative comfort, it's not as important to me.

Thought I'd post a 12,000 mile update. The RT43's have developed just a little road noise between 50-70 MPH but are still very smooth. Wet handling, rain and snow has been very good. Gas mileage is 5.1 MPG less than the Michelins they replaced so cost per mile should be pretty close between the two as long as these Generals can last close to their rated mileage.

Not a fan of the RT43s, recommended them to my daughter after reading all the praises on this forum. Horrible tramlining when on longitudinally grooved pavement. They have grood snow traction compared to the Michellins they replaced but also have more road noise.

Won't be buying again.

Reactions: Pew
Thought I'd post a 12,000 mile update. The RT43's have developed just a little road noise between 50-70 MPH but are still very smooth. Wet handling, rain and snow has been very good. Gas mileage is 5.1 MPG less than the Michelins they replaced so cost per mile should be pretty close between the two as long as these Generals can last close to their rated mileage.

How confident are you about the 5.1MPG less? That is a very large percentage for an average car (dropping a 25MPG car to 20??)

I have them on a 2014 toyota Sienna and it gets the same gas mileage it got with the Michelin MXV4s they replaced.

Have you considered any other source of lower gas mileage. if they were generating that much extra friction or rolling resistance they should be wearing out quickly.

How confident are you about the 5.1MPG less? That is a very large percentage for an average car (dropping a 25MPG car to 20??)

I have them on a 2014 toyota Sienna and it gets the same gas mileage it got with the Michelin MXV4s they replaced.

Have you considered any other source of lower gas mileage. if they were generating that much extra friction or rolling resistance they should be wearing out quickly.

These are on my 2016 Prius. They replaced Michelin Energy Savers so the 8.8% hit isn't surprising.

That makes more since. 5mpg from 60Mpg is not too big percentage wise. I'm not seeing anything like that % wise on my sienna. Still gets the same mileage as the original michelins. Just glad they are lasting longer.

Only 900 miles in, but I’m very happy with them so far. Track straight as an arrow, are very quiet, and the ride quality is excellent.

They've been OK, lost one to sidewall damage on the xB, though, seem a little weak. My son needs a set of tires for his '07 Accord, looked at the RT43s, they've gone up at least 40% in price! Going to try the Cooper Endeavor, they're around $100 less a set with the current DTD sale & rebate.

They've been OK, lost one to sidewall damage on the xB, though, seem a little weak. My son needs a set of tires for his '07 Accord, looked at the RT43s, they've gone up at least 40% in price! Going to try the Cooper Endeavor, they're around $100 less a set with the current DTD sale & rebate.
Were the 43s' T or H or V rated ?

Yup. They are no longer a value leader. Since the price increase, the RT43 is a good tire at a premium tire price. Good luck with the Coopers.

Last edited:
Yup. They are no longer a value leader. Since the price increase, the RT43 is a good tire at a premium tire price. Good luck with the Coopers.
Actually they had Toyos for even less, roughly $240 OTD for a set, even less than the Coopers. I help him with rotation, etc., and DTD has THREE YEARS of road hazard for $9/tire. He takes after his mother, their tires seem attracted to scrap metal...

anyone here try the Kumho LX KU27 as an alternate to the RT43? Got a set on my Corolla pushing 55k miles and they’re 5/32. Obviously very happy with them but they’re not the value they once were.

I bought these tires for both Kia Souls a couple weeks apart in April and the price went up $12 per tire in that time. I have about 2k miles on them and so far I like them a lot better than the tires they replaced. (Bridgestone Ecopia on the old Soul, and factory Nexens on the newer Soul).

The ride is smooth and quiet and they’re good in the rain. I read they’re good in the snow too but I’ll have to find that out in the winter.

The positive reviews here and on Tirerack is why I bought them. I never had General tires before. I hope they hold up without becoming too noisy. The Bridgestones were only 4 years old, had a decent amount of tread left but were cracking on the sidewalls and got very noisy.

I think the Ts' have softer sidewall ( thinner ? ) than the H or V .
I read that the T's have a harder compound than the higher speed rated H and V. They are rated for a higher mileage warranty so might be due to that. I have had 2 sets on my 2006 Focus and I like them. First set was H rated and I think they were worn bad at about 48k. The current set I have on has 48k on them now and there is some life left.

I have found then good in the wet and snow and don't really have any complaints.

Back