General Altimax HP ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished 7-8k more hiway miles on these HPs and the ride was terrific. I think I'm about 16 to 17k total, no snow use, but good manners in the rain as well as dry. Braking and handling were predictable and quiet. They do pick up little stones though, seems like I'm constantly picking them out of the treads.

The Altimax RT also excels on the highway, and is sure footed in rain. Dry handling is also pretty good. It is a shame the snow experience I had with them was so dismal.

The Altimax RT's also like to collect stones. I try to pick them out when I can, but it gets old quickly
crazy2.gif

9 month update:

Altimax HPs (on the 2003 Elantra) are still doing great; AWESOME in rain!!
no difference in quietness or handling or condition of tires from installation day.

VERY happy with how they're doing, and they will be my next tire for the Tbird, too (235/60/16) UNLESS I have upgraded the wheel size by that time ....

highly recommended.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Thread consolidation.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1704642&#Post1704642

Got a pic of the blowout tire off the Volvo.

I can't believe he was driving on this.

It is obviously defective.......

Sorry, AJ, that tire shows 1 sided wear, which is caused by an alignment condition.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Tire before and after were fine, while this one pulled like crazy from new.

You sure there's wasn't an alignment in between there?

BTW, how many miles on the tire - and why didn't your nephew take the tire back if it was pulling?

After 80,000 miles on the Altimax Hp, it's time to replace them. They are pretty good set tires and would buy them again.

Test Over.

Well, after just about 40k over 3 years, we have finally gone through our set of Altimax HPs. That's a fine performance for a V-rated tire on an 855 running base 15s. We don't run our tires down to inspection minimums, and could have probably squeezed a few thousand more out of them.

They were confident and trouble free throughout, and still had solid grip and wet weather performance at the end. The ride quality, noise and impact isolation had declined over the last 5k, but was not yet harsh. However, that is expected with that tread wear and aging. Our lasting impression is of a supremely quiet and comfortable tire with near HP behavior and outstanding wet weather performance.

They were the best $200 set of tires we've ever had. We probably would pay more now for them, knowing that they are a better tire than their modest price. If on a tighter budget, I would have no qualms in slapping on another set of these great Generals.

But this time around, we got a deal we couldn't refuse on a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4s, another tire we have and like. We will see if they measure up to the unexpectedly high standard set by the Generals on this vehicle. The Michelins should last longer, but may not be any better.

To all those considering them, the Altimax HP remains a superior higher-performing GT A/S tire at a bargain price point.

Time to replace my wife's Elantra's set, too..
and we're going with Altimax hp again
smile.gif
They were great, so no reason not to repeat, imo

Here's a pic of 195/60-15's HP's on my daughters 01 Civic. As title says ~50k/3years. Been a good tire, as you can see still not to the wear bars or the center indicator letters with color, not sure what color it's supposed be when worn. 55k rated tire, should do that. Pic is of a drivers side tire, right side just a tad more worn but still not to wear bars.

Almost bit on the Gen $50 Visa card offer last month on a set of 4, same as back in 7/08 when I bought these. DT did a price match on a Treadepot price which had free shipping (no more) at the time. $296.50 out the door, LT balance rotation and prorated road hazard. The $50 Visa was a nice bonus on top of it. Doubt I'll match that next time.

Glad I waited though, just had to get a head gasket put on the Civic.

GenHPsTankandTesters008.jpg

Nice fairly even wear after 50k miles, the left side seems to wear off a tad more than the right side. The tread remaining is about 4-5/32" ?

Thanks. Yeah, could be just a tad of toe, maybe camber, but negligible imo. (fyi, in pic above the left side is the inside half of the drivers side tire.) Because I don't see car that often rotations averaged ~8k. And, they are a directional tire. As for depth, I really should buy a decent depth gauge your guesstimate likely close.

OT But, you bring up a sore subject with me. The Civic had never been aligned, also the previous Yoko Avid Touring went ~64k with even wear. But, since I got such a great deal on the HP's thought I'd take it to the stealership for a 4 wheel alignment @ ~$55 (not bad price) after purchase. To my knowledge they never put a wrench on it, said it was within spec (gave printout), and that was it. Felt like I just wasted my $50 Visa card rebate. Admittedly I'm not an expert (or close) on alignment specs/adjustment, but it seems to me an alignment is an easy place to rip folks off. Based on this wear, and stealer alignment experience, I won't be getting another any time soon.

Here's a pic of the right/passenger side tire which seemed to wear just a tad more, but still legal. Left side of tire in pic is still the inside since pic was taken from back of car.

GenHPsTankandTesters004.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back