Gearwrench Oil Filter Wrench $3.22

Those are somewhat problematic as some of the reviewers state and for the reasons they state. I have several oil filter wrenches I've used the last several decades and that particular one I avoid, however it does have it's uses.

These are the cheap kind that can break but I usually use a similar one in tight spaces. Works well with an short extension. Good deal.

Reactions: hrv
That wrench looks cheap and ineffective to me. I just use a basic strap type wrench and never had an issue. Got a cap type wrench but haven't used it in a while.

Reactions: hrv
Splurge and get a Lisle oil filter tool they are $13 and used by a Lot of pros.

1707568080271.jpg

Lisle filter tool

The $3.22 price would appear to leave little profit margin. It must be 'less than premium' in construction to begin with.
There's no description of the ends of the prongs.

Maybe it's a calculated "future customer finder". Customer acquisition costs are a real thing.
A buyer might see an increase in related ads. A younger buyer might see more?

I have a drawer full of oil filter wrenches. My $3 three-claw filter wrench is the only one that gets any use nowadays. They are amazing for passenger vehicles, small engines, and even the moderate sized tractor hydraulic filters. If it fits your filter sizes, you won’t be disappointed.

I’ve had that exact filter wrench for at least 4 years. It works great on every filter I’ve used it on. Quicker than a cap wrench (I have one but never use it anymore). Highly recommend.

Splurge and get a Lisle oil filter tool they are $13 and used by a Lot of pros.

View attachment 202747

Lisle filter tool

That's what I have. Works well once seated on filter.

Can be difficult to get seated properly in tight quarters because you almost have to feed your hand up there and spread the jaws simultaneously. Sometimes you can catch one jaw then sorta lever it onto the filter without the help of your hand, but it may then slip as it does not readily self-center.

The small spring seems questionable and mine came off once but I just re-hooked it and it's been fine.

TL;DR: good tool but not without its quirks

I much prefer cup wrenches but it can get ridiculous trying to stock every size.

That's what I have. Works well once seated on filter.

Can be difficult to get seated properly in tight quarters because you almost have to feed your hand up there and spread the jaws simultaneously. Sometimes you can catch one jaw then sorta lever it onto the filter without the help of your hand, but it may then slip as it does not readily self-center.

The small spring seems questionable and mine came off once but I just re-hooked it and it's been fine.

TL;DR: good tool but not without its quirks

I much prefer cup wrenches but it can get ridiculous trying to stock every size.
The good thing about the Lisle is it gets tighter & digs in the harder you turn-it'll even bite through the filter can if necessary. If the filter doesn't come off, it's going to be pin wrench or hammer & chisel time!

The good thing about the Lisle is it gets tighter & digs in the harder you turn-it'll even bite through the filter can if necessary. If the filter doesn't come off, it's going to be pin wrench or hammer & chisel time!
Agreed, it seems to be designed to dimple/crush the filter so it can really bite. Accordingly, probably not wise to use on a filter if you intend to reuse it (likely uncommon anyway)

Back