Gear oil VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched and searched the forums and have come across various single VOA's on gear lube, looks like Valvoline seems to be the best conventional add pack from what little i have found. I have yet to find pennzoil, or mobil. Any one have any other thoughts on the Conventional gear lube market?

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Never actually used a conventional gear lube.
The stuff stays in there so long, I figure syn is the way to go for that type of thing.

Exactly, with SVG you can "set it and forget it".

i never use dino gear oils....seeing as how a diff usually holds less than 3 quarts i see no reason to be cheap

Cause4Alarm, in my case it's not 'being cheap' I went through a lot of time and trouble to find a Chevron dealer and then I had to buy in case quantities to get it.

I chose the stuff for the additive package. Delo makes synthetic gear oils but, for some reason, it does not have the borate chemistry add-pack.

Quote:
I chose the stuff for the additive package. Delo makes synthetic gear oils but, for some reason, it does not have the borate chemistry add-pack.

And I never understood that since Chevron chemists developed it and their Oronite division makes the Sodium-Potassium-Triborate package for gear lubes.

On the face of it, it makes no sense. Chevron brags about how good this chemistry is at preventing wear while being soft-metal-friendly (It's a GL4/GL5), then doesn't use it in their premium product. Color me befuddled.

Just a wild guess: It has something to do with PAO's lower solubility as compared to mineral-based lubes.

But then again, that assumes that Chevron is using PAO in their gear oils and not hydrocracked mineral oil (another process/product they pioneered).

I don't think it's solubility.

You can make a majority PAO gear lube with it. We did in our past formulations, but our formulations also used HD esters in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back