GC Gold costing me pure $GOLD$

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you all are so worried about getting better MPG then run a 5w20 oil and get it over with. I cant believe people are griping over a coulple of MPG. heck I know while I in the air force working on bombers. we had a tolerance of + or - a certain amount of the target number. could be a 5 to 10 difference. here you are crying over a few miles. I am sorry you cant drive the vehicle the same way at the same temps. too many variables liek temp outside. the gas you buy might be a bad batch. your commute takes longer. so if your so worried about it. drain out the GC and buy something else and move on.

This is a heavy 30 weight oil. You hear all the time that GC is thicker and almost a 40weight. People who use this in smaller motors may see a loss in MPG. Look at manufacturers who are going for 20weights for cafe reasons.

sdude2k200 Ford recommends 5w20 for cafe reasons only in the 2.3. In most if not all other countries it recommends 5w30. CAFE reasons only. A drop is a loss no matter how you see it.

My take on the trade off.

If you are going to trade or sell the car before 5 years and get a new one run the thinnest oil possible to save a little fuel and lower the cost of ownership.
If you are going to keep the car long after the wArranty is up and run it into the ground. Then a thicker oil with a better additive pack will lower the cost of ownership. Less wear on the engine will mean better fuel economy and lower repair bills down the road at a very minor cost of immediate fuel economy.

That is of course if you believe GC can protect your engine better than any other synthetic or dino for that matter. I think the green color and the smell is pretty neat!
smile.gif

Hey I think it's great some of you guys are getting great results with the oil and love it....no worries!

I mean some of you go off the deep end whenever someone even has the audacity to mention that they weren't too happy with GC. It's like you had some sort of vested stock options in Castrol or something (maybe ya do
wink.gif
) I pesonally think it is great stuff, just not for my application that's all.

Goose
patriot.gif

If I'm doing a trip on a windy day, I slow down when driving into the wind, and speed up when going with the wind. The trip takes the same amount of time, but I think it uses less gas than doing both ways the same speed.

Just filled my tank today. I averaged 21.2 MPG. I usually get 24+ MPG. So I am way under for this tank with this oil.

Hi

It has been over a year since I last ran GC in my 3800. Since I still had a "inventory" of 10 qts of M05 GC, I decided to go that route last Sat when the M7500/5000 10w-30 was changed out after 4300 miles.

Since I keep detailed records of MPG via a spreadsheet, I can spot differences daily and weekly.

The mpg is down 2.2 mpg over the previous weeks run over the identical route. The conditions for GC was warm and without much wind. The week prior was rainy and windy.

I'll probbaly keep it in, change filter at 3k and add more LC20 to it. The engine uses almost no oil.

I may keep it in to 7k mi if I dont yield to temptation and change it out for M1 10w-30.

The GC is getting in summer less mpg than what the M1 5w-30 gave during Jan and Feb.

That's odd because my mileage has actually improved by 2-3 mpg in my WRX since switching to GC a month ago.

Hi

I've used it 4 or 5 times dating back to the green days, and always the mpg is lower.

Its just a thicker oil, but perhaps LC20 can do something at filter change time.

quote:

Originally posted by pmwalter:
I hate to admit this, but GC gold is costing me money. My MPG has dropped 2, or maybe even close to 3 MPG. I'm almost done with my tank, so I don't know exactly yet. I do know however that I am almost 50 miles under what I am usually at. I don't consider external conditions like driving habit, weather, gas type, etc. to be a factor since those have been constant. The oil is the only differing factor.

On the good side though, GC gold has done wonders for my car. Very quick starts, quieter engine, and good protection. The dilemma now is whether GC is worth the extra $11.xx a month in wasted fuel.

What else did you do to the vehicle when changing the oil? Even something as odd as a slow tire leak could result in this -- playing with spark plug wires -- changing gasoline brands -- adding excess weight -- different destination-routing... etc... etc.

Hi

In my case, absolutely nothing changed other than the M7500/5000 out in favor of the GC.

Old topic I know....
My Elantra went from 23.something to 27. something average city highway when I switched from QS 10W 30 to Redline 10W 30. ? Could be anything but the change was overnight.

Bull, GC has a reputation from somewhere, but in no way does it affect gas milage. Everyone who complains about 2 or 3? miles per gallon is doing so on perception.
I do so on facts.
The last 8 tankfulls 3 on Mobil 1 and 5 on CG who won?
The GC gold won the best tankful at 33.07 on a S60 Volvo!. Lowest was 29.40 on Mobil 1. Significant? No not really, there will alway be a 2 to 4 MPG range on actual gallons used and consumed.
Saying GC penalizes you to the tune of over 10% in milage is bull....

quote:

Originally posted by fred0803:
Bull, GC has a reputation from somewhere, but in no way does it affect gas milage. Everyone who complains about 2 or 3? miles per gallon is doing so on perception.
I do so on facts.
The last 8 tankfulls 3 on Mobil 1 and 5 on CG who won?
The GC gold won the best tankful at 33.07 on a S60 Volvo!. Lowest was 29.40 on Mobil 1. Significant? No not really, there will alway be a 2 to 4 MPG range on actual gallons used and consumed.
Saying GC penalizes you to the tune of over 10% in milage is bull....

NM

Hey Jedi,

Thats NOT $7.00 a liter. Thats $7.00 a Gallon.
I was just over there in May/June and I paid as low as $6.80 a gallon and as high as $7.70 a gallon. I averaged $7.25 a gallon.

Bob
01 GoldWing
02 Continental
03 Marauder

It's funny to see people exclaim that manufacturers went to 5w20s simply for better fuel economy. And in the very next breath they exclaim GC, almost a 40 grade, produces no reduction in fuel economy.

I've seen a 4% drop in two engines, V6 and I4 (spec's 5w20), and it was too close to call in a large V8 (spec's 5w30) due to lack of data. This is in Texas summer heat too.

4% x 25 mpg = 1 mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back