GC formulation saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a little confused, again. Currently, I am running GC gold, pre Euro lable. My understanding is that it seemed to be the same base as GC green, but a little different in the additive package. I have gathered that post-Katrina GC may be different again in that the additive package is drifting towards BC (higher Mg, lower Ca). Is my understanding correct? Also, do we know that pre-Katrina Euro lable is different than (or same as) the original GC gold. I have stashes of everything but the post-Katrina ugly bottle (BC, GC Green, GC Gold, pre-Katrina euro lable, and post-Katrina euro lable.). Does anyone have an idea of formulation changes as it relates to either bottle changes or lot numbers (preferably lot numbers)? If not, is there any value in knowning this info? I am getting inspired by LT4 Vette's generosity in another thread, but I haven't acted on it yet.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014903

GMorg,

If you are truly curious/concerned, I hope some of our members can supply answers to your questions. One thing I would caution you: oil companies are likely changing their formulations all the time. These changes just don't get attention because few other oils get the attention that GC gets. Most people never know that the M1 they bought in Jan is not the same formulation as they bought the following Dec. I wouldn't get too concerned about this unless you see a VOA that really worries you; even then, new technology may have made old rules/beliefs (e.g. "too much Mg might cause problems") obsolete. The oil companies are not "out to get us." That is terrible for business.
wink.gif
cheers.gif

I agree with pscholte, but....
I think it's a good idea to get a VOA once a year just to satisfy our curiousity. I'll donate a few bucks to help ya out
cool.gif

In any case, I'm not up-to-date on the gold. I only have a few quarts of M05336...

Let me try to get this clear:
1. Original Gold (Right after the green)
2. Gold with "Euro" label pre-Katrina
3. Gold with "Euro" label post-Katrina (The ugly more square bottles)
4. Gold with "Euro" label post-Katrina (Looks like 2?)
5. Gold with a slightly updated bottle, I've only seen this on M06 and didn't pay close attention.

Please let me know if that is correct for all the Gold GC.

Man, FD... your email, because it spells out everything so clearly, has got the Elves all riled up: "Vott ist Cashtrol dewink to our Schön Elixer...pre-Katrina, posht-Gehrtrooda, rounded bottils, shquare bottils...vott are zey dewink?" I tried to explain but they are going to have to calm down firsht..er first.

My curiosity started when I decided to dilute my BC with some GC. I thought that I would use the version of GC with the additive package that was most like BC. Then I realized, I don't know enough to do that.

pscholte, I take your point. There may not be a good reason to have these oils tested now that they are out of production. But, if the info is avialble, it may still be interesting to piece it together.

FD777, I think that you have the list correct for the bottles. I still have no idea if there is any relationship between the bottles and the forumulations though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back