Gauges & Scanner Using Cell Phone

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
My car lacks gauges that I'd like to have: water temp, oil temp & pressure, maybe trans temp, gas mileage readout ... I'd like to find an app for my Android phone that can connect with Bluetooth to the OBDII socket that will provide this info, and also an app (same one?) to work as a code reader.

I've seen the Ultra Gauge advertised online, but what else is out there. Seems like the UG has gotten good comments here, but before spending the $$$, I'd like to know what other options are available and recommended. Thanks!

torque app-- it is however car and adapter dependent.

edit: additional clarification.

the app itself will show all of those.

But some cars dont supply that information and/or some readers wont read it.

For example 2010 hyundai would show exhaust catalyst temp but not engine oil temp... odd eh.

and that was with a quality obdlink MX adapter.. not the generic 9.99 chinesium elm327 based.

Last edited:
There are likely hundreds of scanner apps but only a small number I'd touch. I'd especially avoid any that has to "advertise". Get Torque Pro. There is a plug-in or add-on for Toyota models as well.

My ODBII adapter is a few years old now but still works perfectly good. Lemme see if it's still available or they've got a newer model.

Here it is: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VWP8521/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - no longer available though.

This one, https://smile.amazon.com/BAFX-Produ...=386419011&s=automotive&sr=1-5&ts_id=15707381, looks promising. 4.5 out of 5 stars, 28k + reviews

I have a the OBDLink MX+ and I like it. My 4Runner doesn't have oil pressure and temperature sensors, therefore that data is not available for display. (The oil pressure sensor is a threshold type that signals excessively low pressure only.) Yesterday, I added fuel economy to the display and found that it differs from the long term value on the dash by about 2 MPG. I have yet to figure out how MPG is calculated by the MX+ (it might be a value calculated during each trip). I mostly monitor ATF temp, coolant temp, and battery voltage. I occasionally monitor tire pressures, cat temps, O2 voltages, A/F ratio, short term fuel trims, long term fuel trims, A/F sensors, cylinder misfire counts, number of DTCs and number of emission related DTCs. I have yet to fully understand some of these readings. When the weather cools, I'll set up my laptop to capture and save scans of all data to use for future comparison if and when a problem arises.

If your car doesn't have tranny temp sensors then no app will be able to pull up that data.

I'm a happy Torque user, but they have a great fan base support of custom PIDs for 2nd gen Prii and were able to give me lots of non-generic gauges.

Start your research to see what sensors the factory computer can support, and work backwards from there.

Back