gator blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
i repaced my oem mulching 21 inch blade with a gator blade. i would estimate that the gator blade is twice the weight of my original mulching blade.this extra weight seems to unload my mower engine when running. (extra rotating mass). the gator blade mulches great but seems to leave a un cut strip.lawn does not look nice and trim after mowing. i am not really happy with the gator blade and thinking of going back to the oem blade.any advice would be appreciated.

On some mowers, Gator blades just don't work right all of the time.

I have one for my Lawn Boy push mower, and it doesn't work right when the grass is growing fast and is juicy. But, in leaves in the fall, there's nothing better.

The Gators are the only thing that I'll use on my John Deere riders. They're perfect, any time of year.

I have Gator blades on my Scotts Tractor (rebadged John Deere) and I have to 2nd that they are great in the fall...really mince the leaves up nicely!

Used them in the spring in the past and never had an issue. Also, I have to say that they really hold a nice edge for a long time.

Last edited:
I have one and I get the same uncut strip as you do. On the left side? Other than that it does mulch well but I'm thinking of getting a regular mulching blade.

They dont work worth a darn on Toro decks. Toro does a great job designing their decks and the OEM blade is best on Toro's.

What model mower?

I bought a Gator blade and used it twice. Pretty terrible cut and a slight vibration. Checked balance and it was OK. Some decks just need a high lift/high vac blade to cut right.

I've had similar challenges with Gator G6 blades and ended up going back to Deere OEM. Mine would leave a tiny strip of uncut grass, and just generally didn't leave a clean looking cut.

It seems like they must work good with some deck designs and not so well with others, because I know people who love them and people who hate them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
They dont work worth a darn on Toro decks. Toro does a great job designing their decks and the OEM blade is best on Toro's.

Exactly!! I have a 1991 Toro 21" 5 HP and the darn thing leaves a mulch strip on the right side.

Going back to OEM.
thumbsup2.gif

I have two sets of blades for my 757. One set is a gator, the other set a John Deere OEM. Both do an equally good job on the yard in normal conditions, but the gator blades seem to do a bit better in wet grass.

I sharpen and swap the blades almost every time I mow.

Love them!! I have two G3s on my exmark mower and it cuts far better than the high lift blades that came on the mower.

Very soon I'm going to get a 2nd pair of G3s then try the G6s after and rotate them between sharpening and such...

They are great for cutting into smaller pieces instead of bigger blades discharging. Less discharge basically is what I mean.

Oregon makes great products and I think gator blades are them aren't they?

9 out of 10 stars fir the blades!
Recommended to anyone that wants better. I like the success I have had with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back