Gator attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm at my parents place today. Me and "Mighty 'D'" are working the land as we pull "King Disc" which breaks the rich, black soil in nice, neat rows. I swing down by the pond to turn around when I notice that on the edge of the pond is a hill of dirt about two feet tall next to a clump of bushes.

I'm confused. How did this hill of dirt get there? Periodically, "King Disc" will bind and mound up a small hill of dirt, but this is like a little two foot mountain. I'm thinking, "this has to be the mother of all ant piles."

I dismount from "Mighty 'D'" to investigate. I stand about a foot away from the small mountain next to the clump of bushes which, by the way, hangs over the edge of the pond. The water of the pond starts to swirl and bubble and suddenly, an alligator explodes out of the water and onto the bank of the pond.

I don't remember moving, but when I'm able to think again in a rational manner, I am standing on top of the tractor fender. The gator is next to the tractor, hissing so loudly I can hear her above the sound of the unmuffled tractor motor.

Then she starts biting the rear tire and slapping it with her tail which makes a heavy "thumping" sound.

The deck of the tractor is only about ten inches off the ground, which happens to be right next to where she is chewing and gnawing away. There ain't no way I'm putting my feet anywhere down there while she is there.

Thankfully, "Mighty 'D'" has a hand clutch and the fuel tank is right in front of the steering wheel. I sit on the fuel tank, lean forward, (which is leaning toward the back of the tractor), engage the clutch and drive forward while sitting backward.

She follows me about twenty feet and then returns to her nest.

Yep, that wasn't an ant hill after all.

Holy Sh*T lol.

You didn't mention if you checked your drawers after.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Originally Posted By: lugNutz
Holy Sh*T lol.

You didn't mention if you checked your drawers after.
smile.gif

My "rear end" was drawed up too tight for that
wink.gif

lol. Every time I head to Florida for a trip, I always fear this happening to me as there are a ton of ponds in the community I go to. Gators are there swimming around so I tend to be careful. I would have not been as composed as you probably were lol.

Don't mess with mama gator!

Sounds like fun - not WHILE it was happening, but afterwards when you tell the story!

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Every now and then there comes a moment in life where it's time to drop what you're doing and run. This was one of those times.

I've heard that they can run up to 25mph for short distances.

You guys in Florida got to get over your aversion to hunting alligators. They have a much more "no nonsense" approach to their gators in Louisiana and the gators know their place.

Another reason to be happy I live in Indiana. We have mosquitos and bumble bees and the occasional snapping turtle.

Glad you're okay though.. Definitely a good story for generations to come. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back