Gathering fluids to change them all!

Anyone use Amsoil Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFPK) in a 44-40 transfer case??
Supposedly it meets 68049954AA specs...

I got the coolant and oil finished (OEM coolant, dealer did it when they did water pump. I did the oil w/Mobil 1 EP and Wix XP filter.) Both front and rear diffs are done now (Pennzoil Platinum Axle frt/rear. Front is a pita!) Did an initial start on the transmission fluid (Napa premium ATF+4), sucked out almost half (as much as I could) with my Mityvac and will do it again in about 1k and also drop pan and do filter too then.) Brake fluid is bled. Everything seems nice and most of the old fluids were fairly decent for 100k kms. The front diff was nasty and ATF was decent (I think some of this stuff was done already in the past from some of the stains underneath, which is good to see.) I checked over lots of stuff underneath and all hoses lines etc and all looks decent. Car drives a lil smoother so far. :)

Only things left are the xfer case and power steering, both of which are super expensive fluids up here ($53+ and $30+/L) :(

Still wondering about the Amsoil for the xfer case too...

Last edited:
Anyone use Amsoil Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFPK) in a 44-40 transfer case??
Supposedly it meets 68049954AA specs...
It'll do just fine; did a few late model 1500 TCs with this SS ATF, as well as older 1500s, Jeeps etc etc.

It'll do just fine; did a few late model 1500 TCs with this SS ATF, as well as older 1500s, Jeeps etc etc.
Do these have clutches in them though? I know many don't.

I have a bearing type whine that's coming from the transfer case it sounds like (below my elbow inside on the passenger side.) I'm fearing its the transfer case :( I wasn't able to hear it putting it on four jacks stands and running it. I need to pick up a mechanics stethoscope I think. I may just dump the fluid in it to see what condition its in, and put AFT+4 in it till I get some Amsoil SS MV ATF as it seems to be the closest so far?

Noise ended up being the driveshaft center bearing. So the noise is fixed now :)

I still want to change the transfer case fluid though, anyone think some ATF+4 would be fine in it with the clutches in the 44-40??!

I was hoping anyone might have more insight into the compatibility of fluids like the ATF+4 with the oem stuff for the 44-40 :(

Back