Gates/Napa v-belt accurate length/circumference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody experience fitting and measuring Fleetrunner or other Gates v-belts?

I am going to buy one in the US, as they don't sell them here. Gates U.S. says the 9400HD is the right one for the application, while their European catalog says 6566EXL, which is what I am currently using and it fits well. It is rated as an AVX13x1013La. Like with any other AVX automotive Euro belt I have been measuring by tightening a tape measure around them, the outside circumference on this belt is 10-15mm more than specced (La = outside length) i.e. approx. 1025 mm.

Per Gates, the 9400HD has an effective length of 40" (1016mm) and an outside circumference of 40.38" (1026mm). For comparison, the next smaller 9395HD is 39.52" (1004mm) and 39.9" (1013mm). So on paper, the AVX13x1013La is more like the 9395HD. The 9400HD would be the way to go only if the specced length is accurate.

How accurate are Gates belts in real world, and are they on the long or on the short side of their spec?

Gates is pretty good, but why would you want one, considering your locale? Continental don't offer one you need?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Is a Gates 6566EXL available in the US?

What's the outside length of a 6566EXL?

The 6566EXL is an all European AVX13x1300La belt and the "true" outside length appears to be approx. 1025mm. These additional 10-15mm are the norm with AVX belts, I have seen it with Gates, Optibelt and Continental. Gates' Power-Quad III industrial XPA-sized EPDM belts are much more accurate, their outside length is almost exactly what the book says. Power-Quad belts are great, but the way I see it, automotive belts are more flexible.

Quality wise I prefer Gates over almost anything else and I can't wait to try a Greenstripe v-belt on a slightly troublesome A/C compressor drive.

Perhaps the E in EXL stand for European, I don't know. Needless to say, XL and EXL belts a superb. Getting a Fleetrunner from the US is simply the result of my bitoger purism. You know what I suffer, don't ya!?!

Oh no, I screwed up on that belt number, it should have said AVX13x1013. That's how myths are born.

Originally Posted By: Extreme-Duty
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Is a Gates 6566EXL available in the US?

What's the outside length of a 6566EXL?

The 6566EXL is an all European AVX13x1013La belt and the "true" outside length appears to be approx. 1025mm. These additional 10-15mm are the norm with AVX belts, I have seen it with Gates, Optibelt and Continental. Gates' Power-Quad III industrial XPA-sized EPDM belts are much more accurate, their outside length is almost exactly what the book says. Power-Quad belts are great, but the way I see it, automotive belts are more flexible.

Quality wise I prefer Gates over almost anything else and I can't wait to try a Greenstripe v-belt on a slightly troublesome A/C compressor drive.

Perhaps the E in EXL stand for European, I don't know. Needless to say, XL and EXL belts a superb. Getting a Fleetrunner from the US is simply the result of my bitoger purism. You know what I suffer, don't ya!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back