Gasoline Grade Price Spread, Drifted Apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Here in Spain the difference is there fore sure.
95 RON = 5.70$/Gal.
98 RON = 6.30$/Gal.
My daily Peugeot gets 95 but it gets 45 MPG.
The old Ford gets 98 BP Ultimate and gets about 20-25 Mpg.

Do they even sell 91 RON in Spain?

91 RON = 87 US

I've never seen 91 RON in Spain personally, atleast since i've been driving? Just 95 or 98 Unleaded.

In the last month my go to station for 100% gas has increased the difference frm 30 cents a gal to 40. I informed them I would be filling up elsewhere as there is another that has maintained the 30 cent gap. It is a break even for me, increased MPG is offset by the price difference but beyond 30 cents and it will be back to ethanol.

US 87 (R+M)/2 has minimum MON of 82, so minimum RON is 92 (91.5 absolute minimum RON with 82 MON).

If a facility blends with higher MON, then RON can be lower, but minimum MON is typically a greater extent to such an extent there are some facilties / times that (R+M)/2 giveaway occurs in order to meet minimum MON. So it's difficult to assign a single RON (or MON) value to a grade based on (R+M)/2. You can just benchmark off minimums.

Parrafins like normal butane, alkylate, and isomerate have a low (2 to 4) difference between RON & MON. Aromatics such as toluene and reformate / platformate typically have a 12 to 14 number difference between RON & MON. Olefins like hexene, isooctene, and nonene have a 8 to 10 difference between RON & MON. Nonidealities in interactions cause some components to blend differently than their "neat" properties as well.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
It does make a difference in power, a slight difference, I have read between 15 and 20 percent.

I remember a British TV show dyno tested a turbo VW on regular and premium and the difference was a only a few hp.

i.e. it was a couple percent, nowhere near double digits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back