Gasket vs RTV?

Even so that doesn't mean you let it skin over before assembling the parts. Just like your screen shot indicates you assemble wet, and the "skin over" part refers to the edges that ooze out. If the RTV has skinned over before the parts are assembled there will be no adhesive bond between the mating surfaces.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by The Critic
That pan should seal fine with RTV.

Bolts need to be torqued immediately with Toyota RTV, not sure about the Permatex product. But I have never heard of anyone letting RTV "skin" before tightening the bolts.
Now you have. I spoke with the Permatex rep. When you start to tighten after the waiting period, and see anything ooze, you stop and wait some more. Ultra grey uses humidity in the air to set. The lower the humidity the longer you have to wait.
Here's a screen shot of the instructions.

That disassembled pan looks like the RTV is still wet - doesn't this product require 24-hours to cure before filling the pan with oil?

Some products such as Honda UltraFlange II and Permatex Right Stuff allow immediate filling but that's not what you used here.

Originally Posted by supton
I think I see the problem--I should have gone 360 around the bolt. I went around the outside, thinking I didn't want to chance any being on the inside and falling off. Right amount used, a 2mm wide bead or so, but it should have done 360 around.

This is the bolt that was leaking--I had overfilled it, as I was going to run it and pump out thro the cooler. So with a very high pan level... it leaked. So I think it'll be worth a second shot.

[Linked Image]

The instructions on the package said immediately assemble, tighten to finger tight, wait 1 hour. Torque to spec. Wait 24 hours and fill with fluids. Instructions online of course are different. Lastly, a few antedotal reports online indicate... no need to wait 24 hours, just cure for an hour and move on in life.

21.gif

Just went out, drove half hour, went to a few stores, half hour to home. I don't see any leakage. Think it's finally done! [Now do I dare move onto the other vehicle needing ATF exchange? Ugh!]

From the website:
[Linked Image]

From the actual package:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by nobb
Originally Posted by Lubener
This is the reason I will never use RTV on an oil pan.....Leaks and PITA when removing the pan for maintenance next time.

I would think RTV is superior for sealing, but only if properly applied. Gaskets have the benefit of being easier to clean off for parts that eventually will have to come off (eg. ATF pan). But I would argue that an oil pan should never have to come off so using RTV is acceptable there.

I agree it works fine and is pretty forgiving IMO. All you have to do is prep properly (usually means a power tool with cleaning disk or wire wheel attachment if RTV was already used followed by brake cleaner), apply inside the bolts and torque properly (use factory specs and a torque wrench). The pan gaskets that come with most aftermarket transmission filters and aftermarket water pumps aren't usually anything to write home about.

Last edited:
Back