Gas station filter

Here we only have 1 nozzle on the pump. We can choose 90,88 or 87 octaine by pushing the appropriate button.

Inside that pump is a large filter. Looks to be about 6 inches across and 14 or so inches long.

It will likely hold a couple of gallons of gas.

If the last guy got 87 octaine that filter will be full of 87.

If I ride up on my quad that requires premium and put in 2 gallons to fill it won't I mostly get the left over regular?

Basically pay more for less octane? Then the next guy will get my premium?

The dispensers that I've changed filters in, have 1 filter for each grade. The mixing happens at the top of the dispenser, just above the hose connection.

The one I saw here only had 1 filter inside the box.

The ones I've seen have two filters, one on each side. Unless you view both sides of the dispenser with the panels removed you won't see the other filter. And these filters are important for protecting the components of the dispenser including the mixing valve, so it wouldn't make sense to have them after the mixing valve.

Not only the filter but also the piping the the volume in the hose itself. We’ve discussed this a few times in the past. The answer? Park away from the pump, wait for someone to buy premium gas, pull in behind him, order up regular gas, and enjoy his premium leftovers. ;)

Reason I ask is I have a couple of toys that require high octane. Lately have been putting a couple gallons of premium in my Jeep before filling my gas can. Thinking that I can pump the lower octane gas into the jeep instead of putting it in my can

The pumps here have 1 for each type of fuel that are in tanks.
obiviously if they are made from mixing thats different.

ie those pumps that have 5 octanes on them could be different.

There’s one station here that has one pump dedicated to 91 octane without ethanol. I always use it for tractors and small engines. It’s always busy with boat traffic being right by the lake.

Reason I ask is I have a couple of toys that require high octane. Lately have been putting a couple gallons of premium in my Jeep before filling my gas can. Thinking that I can pump the lower octane gas into the jeep instead of putting it in my can
This is what I do when I fill up my jerry cans for OPE, as the premium at Shell is ethanol-free. I start a transaction on 91, put a few litres into the F-150 to purge the lines/filter/whatever, then fill the cans. Once the cans are full, I start a new transaction for 87 and finish filling the truck.

Worry less.That big filter housing probably contains more of filter elements and less of gasoline
I was thinking that as well, but had a look at a gas filter and realized it’s just a bunch of corrugated paper much like an oil filter. The paper really didn’t take up much volume itself. The inside dimensions of the OP’s description calculated out to be 1.7 gallons minus the paper volume and two end caps. Here is an smaller version of a gasoline filter cut open. Yep, normally for a car I couldn’t care less , but if a person is only buying two gallons I’d say the problem is real if you truly needed a small volume of premium fuel. Maybe someone has a C&P of an industrial sized gas filter? :)

788673F6-6250-44B5-86B0-59CB5706A7EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back