Gas pumping question when no trigger locks on pump

Background: I live in New Jersey where self-service for gasoline is illegal. The gasoline tax in NJ was one of the lowest in the nation until a few years ago. When the tax was low, the price of gas was much cheaper than neighboring states. lf going on a road trip out of state, l would always fill up before leaving NJ and rarely had a need to fill up out of state.

The gas tax has increased drastically in NJ in recent times and the price in neighboring states is about the same. With that said, l find myself using self-serve gas more often out of state.

l have found that in New York, the pumps do not have the ability to lock the nozzle, but they do in Connecticut. I always waited for the pump to click off to know the tank is full.

l looked it up and NY has a new(ish) law where gas can not be pumped unattended, hence no locking nozzles.

Whenever l use a pump in NY by hand, it constantly stops dispensing numerous times. l never know when the tank is full and l am afraid of overfilling, so l always leave with the tank a bit over 3/4 and never a full tank.

How do l pump by hand without the aid of a locking nozzle and get a full tank? lt is a mystery to me. Everything works well in CT when l lock the nozzle at the beginning and l leave with a full tank when it automatically clicks off.

As the tank approaches full (there's usually a change in the sound of the gas going in / air coming out), release the handle partway to slow down the flow. Stop the first time it cuts off. If you look at a locking nozzle closely, even the highest notch doesn't open it as much as squeezing the handle all the way by hand.

You can also look at the number of gallons you're buying. If you run it down to about the same point on the gauge each time it will take about the same number of gallons to refill.

Last edited:
Background: I live in New Jersey where self-service for gasoline is illegal. The gasoline tax in NJ was one of the lowest in the nation until a few years ago. When the tax was low, the price of gas was much cheaper than neighboring states. lf going on a road trip out of state, l would always fill up before leaving NJ and rarely had a need to fill up out of state.

The gas tax has increased drastically in NJ in recent times and the price in neighboring states is about the same. With that said, l find myself using self-serve gas more often out of state.

l have found that in New York, the pumps do not have the ability to lock the nozzle, but they do in Connecticut. I always waited for the pump to click off to know the tank is full.

l looked it up and NY has a new(ish) law where gas can not be pumped unattended, hence no locking nozzles.

Whenever l use a pump in NY by hand, it constantly stops dispensing numerous times. l never know when the tank is full and l am afraid of overfilling, so l always leave with the tank a bit over 3/4 and never a full tank.

How do l pump by hand without the aid of a locking nozzle and get a full tank? lt is a mystery to me. Everything works well in CT when l lock the nozzle at the beginning and l leave with a full tank when it automatically clicks off.
This is really a thing? And self-service is illegal?!? How do you get your gas? Ask the gas nanny to do it for you? That's why it's expensive!

....after searching.... I now realize this isn't a troll question. I just didn't realize the magnitude of hand-holding our gubbamint in the Northeast does.

Some cars are more sensitive and trigger the nozzle shut off too easily.
Our GS350 is that way. There is an insert position that works better. Plus I run it slowly...
Good luck.

The way a gas nozzle works is by diaphram action. As long as the sensing tube is pulling air into the diaphram, it stays open. As soon as the tube pulls liquid, the suction on top of the diaphram senses the increased vacuum and trips the trigger (inside). So you are obviously filling too quickly and the fuel is rising up in the filler neck. (this is usually in the form a fuel/air mixture (bubbles))
The difference in stations can be explained by different volumes of fuel delivery. Just pull the trigger to the lowest setting (slow) when you find a nozzle that trips early. If that doesn't work, you just have to regulate it yourself, even if it IS -10 degrees out!

As for the lack of settable triggers at some stations, it can also be a company issue for the safety of the customer.

As others have said, back off just a hair on the trigger - you'll notice that when you use a pump with a trigger lock, it will slightly release the trigger as the lock sets in place. I try to emulate that position on non-locking pumps if I experience premature pump cut-off. Also, keeping the nozzle less (but not too much less) than fully inserted can help as well.

This is really a thing? And self-service is illegal?!? How do you get your gas? Ask the gas nanny to do it for you? That's why it's expensive!

....after searching.... I now realize this isn't a troll question. I just didn't realize the magnitude of hand-holding our gubbamint in the Northeast does.

Not accurate. Jersey prices were historically lower due to lower state gas tax than neighboring states. Increased gas tax is the change that has brought the Jersey gas prices in line with its neighbors.

I keep a mental estimate in my mind of how many gallons I will need. I have a 20 gal tank and at 1/4 tank I know I need about 15gallons to full it. so if it clicks at 10, I know its not full. if it clicks at 13-14, I pull the nozzle out about 1" then squeeze handle about 1/2 the way while watching the nozzle. if it clicks again, its full. if fuel comes gushing out and get on my leg.... its full. :) if its takes more, then it was just foam bubbles or some gas pressure transient that tripped the trigger but you are close. and only have to go slow the last gallon or so. the gas is not coming out very fast. It takes me a surprising long time to fill my 5 gallon fuel tanks so the chance of getting gas gushed on you is small.

....after searching.... I now realize this isn't a troll question. I just didn't realize the magnitude of hand-holding our gubbamint in the Northeast does.Ore
Oregon is the other state with no self serve... kind of. It depends on the county, time of day, and other convoluted rules.

Don't give the trigger a full squeeze. Your hand will tire out from a partial squeeze, but if you squeeze just enough for gas to flow, it will fill slower.

at least it's not a diesel and you have to worry about it foaming to trip off the cutoff

Not accurate. Jersey prices were historically lower due to lower state gas tax than neighboring states. Increased gas tax is the change that has brought the Jersey gas prices in line with its neighbors.
not only that, but the attendant job is a union job with benefits (from what I hear).. but the prices were still historically lower than the neighboring states.

I have never used the "lock" to keep the gas flowing. As others have said back off with the pump handle and fill at a slower pace.

Oregon is the other state with no self serve... kind of. It depends on the county, time of day, and other convoluted rules.
Pretty correctly stated. Years ago I was filling my TDI Jetta at the station on the NW corner of the Aurora exit. The attendant (female teen) told me I could not pump my own. I told her it's a diesel and yes, I can. After a couple more times back and forth, I ran my credit card and filled my car. Meanwhile, she frantically called the police. I took my time, but they still had not arrived by the time I left.

Pretty correctly stated. Years ago I was filling my TDI Jetta at the station on the NW corner of the Aurora exit. The attendant (female teen) told me I could not pump my own. I told her it's a diesel and yes, I can. After a couple more times back and forth, I ran my credit card and filled my car. Meanwhile, she frantically called the police. I took my time, but they still had not arrived by the time I left.
Imagine having the police called on you for pumping fuel. Now imagine that being "normal."

No thanks.

Pull the pump handle trigger to a medium flow setting and put one of those velcro strap things around it to hold it open.

Imagine having the police called on you for pumping fuel. Now imagine that being "normal."

No thanks.

It's not actually a crime. It's a civil matter where any instance of someone violating the self-service ban can result in the gas station being fined. The rationale is that pumping gas is dangerous, so somehow they still allow employees to do it.

So we wanted to Verify: Are there legal ramifications for pumping your own gas?​
First, let's go over what’s legal and what’s not:​
  • If your car or truck uses diesel, you can pump it yourself.
  • A 2002 law allowed motorcycle and motorized scooter riders to pump their own gas statewide.
  • Just last year, lawmakers allowed people to pump their own gas if the county they’re in has a population of fewer than 40,000 people. But if you’re in a city like Portland, Salem, Eugene or Medford, you still have to get your gas pumped by a gas station attendant.
  • And this legislative session, Oregon lawmakers are considering allowing any gas station statewide to let people pump their own gas at up to a quarter of their pumps.

For some reason on my current F150 I always topped off the tank until it was coming out the filler neck.
WRONG! DON'T DO IT!
I learned the hard way. And because the gas was always coming up to the top, the excess would go down the vent tube to the Fuel Vapor Separator Assembly, and it ruined it. CEL came on and my sons shop foreman had it for over a week trying to figure it out. A $10 part wound up costing me $150, for just a few more pennies of gas.

I pumped gas as a job when I was a kid. Sometimes the tank is vented differently and the air pressure trying to escape causes the pump to kick off. Try pulling the nozzle out some and see if that works.

Also if you want you can stick your gas cap in the handle when there is no lock...

Just my $0.02

Back