Gas prices going up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local news yesterday said that the gasoline price increase was because the refineries are switching to the more expensive "summer" blend.

Last fall they blamed the price increase on the more expensive "winter" blend ....
21.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
$1.29 a liter here.

Yep, it was at $1.31.9 this morning or yesterday morning here. I have heard we can expect a $1.45-$1.50 a litre come summer.
mad.gif

Nothing but gouging going on and our Gov't is behind every bit of it.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
The local news yesterday said that the gasoline price increase was because the refineries are switching to the more expensive "summer" blend.

Last fall they blamed the price increase on the more expensive "winter" blend ....
21.gif

I have long heard in winter , gas demand drops , heating oil demand rises . Mote production is focused at heating oil .

Summer this is reversed .

Somewhere in that is suppose to lie the reason for the seasonal price cycles .

You will have to figure out the rest for your selves .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

21.gif

I have long heard in winter , gas demand drops , heating oil demand rises . Mote production is focused at heating oil .

Summer this is reversed .

Somewhere in that is suppose to lie the reason for the seasonal price cycles .

You will have to figure out the rest for your selves .
What ever makes people happy about paying more.

I heard the price on a barrel of oil has gone up, which accounts for 15¢ per gallon rise.

Summer gasoline needs to be refined more than winter gasoline, which makes it a few pennies per gallon more expensive. Your news stations do a horrible job in vetting information.

Thanks Kestas.

I would like to see a link whete higher pricing is due to winter blend as that's counter-science.

Summer blending requires lowered volatility for evaporative emissions controls, this severely limits the amount of high octane but high volatility components such as normal butane used in gasoline blending. The excess normal butane produced in summer blending period is typically stored in caverns and salt domes, the octane has to be made up through higher proportion of more expensive blend components right when volume demand is also highest.

Winter blending is the opposite, where higher volatility is required for the gasoline to readily vaporize at lower ambient temperatures. Refineries can't produce enough high volatility blend components at those times and import components like normal butane back into the refinery from storage for gasoline blending.

I get the gut feeling we are going to see a major increase this summer....I was hoping that gas was going to stay stable at about 2.50, but not looking like it.

The question this time is how high.....

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Chorlotte Observer says highest prices in three years. 'Reasons' given, yada, yada yada

Two ants fought over a breadcrumb in Nigeria, so prices go up.
crazy.gif

Here in Utah, we get gouged more than any of our neighboring states despite a huge refinery located ten minutes north of Salt Lake City. We have big oil fields here too, but gas stations out in fields are more money than anywhere else. I've totally quit believing that these oil production ventures will lower gas prices. They might be pumping oil out of the ground hand over fist, but it must be going somewhere else because the prices never go down. Wasn't the Keystone Pipeline supposed to keep prices low?

2.75 in N FL

I believe the changeover to summer gas is somewhat legit, however the refining companies certainly don’t bother to attempt a smooth transition to minimize price and supply fluctuations. They like expensive gas. More profit.

OPEC is pretty much screwed. If they try to boost prices much, more oil shale that’s idled right now will come online as price points reach the level where those fields are profitable.

Refining capacity is the bigger factor and it’s about impossible to build a new refinery in Muricia. NIMBY at work

Originally Posted By: kawie_guy
Here in Utah, we get gouged more than any of our neighboring states despite a huge refinery located ten minutes north of Salt Lake City. We have big oil fields here too, but gas stations out in fields are more money than anywhere else. I've totally quit believing that these oil production ventures will lower gas prices. They might be pumping oil out of the ground hand over fist, but it must be going somewhere else because the prices never go down. Wasn't the Keystone Pipeline supposed to keep prices low?

Yup, here in on the west coast of Canada it's the same deal. We already know this won't reduce the price of fuel for anyone and will only cause problems when the transport ships mess up the coastal waters for tourists.

It's only a matter of time though. I'm certain the gov't will get their way.

Locally 18 cent/gal jump in price in the past week in area with previously lowest average. From $2.52, now $2.70/gal. Biggest jump in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back