Gas OBVIOUSLY isn't too expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a gas station the other day and a dirty redneck was complaining "that preseedent Bush ain't got a lick of sense. Man kaint harly afford to live nowadays, gas so high".
He paid for his gas, bought 10 lottery tickets and a 6 pack of beer. He hopped into a brand new excursion. Obviously though, he was cutting back on personal grooming atricles.

I agree. People spend money like water on things they don't need.

Personally, since I do not have any credit card debt, and try to keep it that way, gas prices have hit me. My gas budget has doubled since gas has gone up the last year. My boating, going out ot eat and other non-necessary spending has been cut in half.

One thing to keep in mind, for people in the Northern Latitudes is for people who budget their heating expenses, it is usually done over a 10 month span, leaving July & August as the "free months". Most will need an oil or gas bill to re-awaken their desire to CONSERVE.

A different take on this issue would be - "I don't personally have to work eighty hours a week to make ends meet, so obviously GAS ISN'T HIGH ENOUGH".

Is the wealth-bondage site making sense now?

quote:

Originally posted by TooManyWheels:
A different take on this issue would be - "I don't personally have to work eighty hours a week to make ends meet, so obviously GAS ISN'T HIGH ENOUGH".

Is the wealth-bondage site making sense now?

Bingo.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 9c1:
Pulled into a rest stop on the interstate the other evening. It was hot and humid, and there was a long line of 18-wheelers all with engines at fast idle -- I assume to keep the resting driver comfortable.
I was struck that on one hand they need to rest for safety reasons, but the way they complain about the price of fuel .....
Terry

A truck driver needs to get his/her rest, so idling is necessary except during the cooler (but not freezing cold) months. Eventually auxillary power units will be used but they can add 500# to the weight of the truck (in the worst place at the drive wheels).

Just across the border in Windsor, ON they just outlawed idling. There's also a big public education campaign to go along with it. Personally, I think they should put APU's on semi trucks and busses and turn off the big diesel motors when they're not driving. On my walk to work from the parking deck, I often have to walk past idling tour busses waiting hours on end for their clients. You can smell the exhaust for 100's of feet and it's not pleasant. Our cities are polluted enough without this.

Im no OTR driver, but from my understanding, there are now outfits that provide climate control, etc. to drivers, at truckstops, so that they dont have to run their trucks. Idleair or something like this its called...

I cant imagine the cost is much different from idling an engine for hours, when you consider the fuel, wear, oil degradation, etc.

Now I suppose not all drivers care to stop at truckstops... well, i dont know the solution... All I know is that there is a flying J truckstop within a tank of fuel from one another in any direction or place that I need to go.

Idling busses are another good point - no solution for them other than for them to turn off their engines... or get an APU to run the HVAC. Personally, I find busses more offensive, as they release their exhaust at ground level typically, rather than an over the head stack like a heavy truck.

JMH

LOL.......we're going to outlaw fast idling but we still have NASCAR and NHRA and many other forms of wasting petroleum. Now I love F1 and motorsports in general, but it's absurd to take away from the working industry and not seem to do anything to the "entertainment" industry.

And Pablo.......I'd seem to think that ignorance is much worse than just a lack of knowledge. Not knowing can be fixed. You can't fix stupid.

I actually thought gas prices had slowed people down here a while back. Traffic in front of my house had slowed down considerably, but now it's back worse than ever.

quote:

Originally posted by another Todd:
I didn't think a V-10 towing a trailer could pass anything, including a gas station! I'll keep my big block.

Dude, if you saw how floored and strained it was/sounded, you were'd have shivered like me. I was afraid a rod was gonna come flyin out and crack my window.

When he started passing, I purposely slowed down so he wouldn't hit the inevitable oncomer. It would have been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG pass if I hadn't.

Plugging in the truck assumes you are stopped at a truck stop. I tried not to.

APU -- with a dedicated HVAC system of it's own -- is the way to go.

I didn't think the V10 had any guts either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back