Gas OBVIOUSLY isn't too expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from a 3 day camping/fishing trip to Taylor Park CO. I did about 5 mph over the limit the entire trip there and back but slowed a bit over Cottonwood Pass which has a few spots over 10% grade. On the way there over the pass, I was passed by a V-10 Ford Super Duty pulling a 5th wheel
shocked.gif
It sounded like it was bouncing off the rev limiter the entire way up. People were driving like bats out of a heell!! If anything, I'd say people drive faster now that gas seems to be permanently around 3 bucks a gallon. UNBELIEVABLE! What will it take for people to change their driving habits??? 10 bucks a gallon!
dunno.gif
On the bright side, we saw 2 moose and.........................a WOLVERINE!!! Just about at the top of the pass coming back today, a wolverine lept over the side of the road in front of us and flew up the side of the pass. Many biologists and such think they are still extinct in Colorado.

I would agree. At first people slowed down a bit, combined trips etc. but now they all got used to it so get ready for the next round of price increases.

Maybe the folks in that Super Duty were rushing home to watch their new $3000 wide-screen flat-panel HDTV? And to play on their new $2500 computer?

And these are the same people complaining about gas prices being 'too high'. Go figure.

Based on the wholesale price of gasoline, most gasoline should be priced at about $2.60. But the gas stations (7-11, Minute Mart, Wa-Wa) know that folks are conditioned to 3 dollar gas. So in my area gas is $2.90. If JoeSixpack could back off say 5% of consumption gas would be down to $2.60. Agaim-not the evil gas companies....Supply and demand at the local level coupled with lack of curbing of demand.

On the same token I was passed recently by a Ferrari revving away (sounded beautiful). I believe they only get slightly better MPG.

People can afford the fuel so they don't worry.

Saw (heard) a large rock crusher diesel PU fast idling as we pulled up in WM yesterday. No one in the truck! So I climb out and see someone is in the passenger seat, reclined and snoozing with windows fully rolled up. I guess this person could have had a medical condition but it was 72°F in the blazing sun
smile.gif
. And maybe those huge diesels don't use too much fuel fast idling, but still how we observe others using our fuel has changed..........
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Based on the wholesale price of gasoline, most gasoline should be priced at about $2.60. But the gas stations (7-11, Minute Mart, Wa-Wa) know that folks are conditioned to 3 dollar gas. So in my area gas is $2.90. If JoeSixpack could back off say 5% of consumption gas would be down to $2.60. Agaim-not the evil gas companies....Supply and demand at the local level coupled with lack of curbing of demand.

cheers.gif

Alas, people feel the need to exercise social irresponsibility because we're Americans and have the right to do such... so we all get hurt for the decisions of some.

JMH

Pablo, what that guy did with his diesel is illegal in Germany. You can't just keep a car idling to stay warm or cool - it's a waste of gas and you can get fined for that.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
Pablo, what that guy did with his diesel is illegal in Germany. You can't just keep a car idling to stay warm or cool - it's a waste of gas and you can get fined for that.

I hope that law dosen't pass in the US. We have enought personal intrusion laws as it is.

Came out of a restaurant the other day and saw two police cars from a Houston suburb (Meadows Place) locked and idling, while the officers were having a leisurely lunch.

Since I can still eat at a restaurant I guess the gas prices aren't high enough.....

quote:

Originally posted by Mattchou:

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:

I hope that law dosen't pass in the US. We have enought personal intrusion laws as it is.

I have a feeling that's what's going to happen sooner or later. In certain areas in NY, truck drivers aren't allowed to idle to keep warm or cool while they sleep. Dang, I wouldn't do that to an animal, but that's what it's coming to until they all get APU's on their trucks.

Pulled into a rest stop on the interstate the other evening. It was hot and humid, and there was a long line of 18-wheelers all with engines at fast idle -- I assume to keep the resting driver comfortable.
I was struck that on one hand they need to rest for safety reasons, but the way they complain about the price of fuel .....
Terry

We had some guests frm England at the house over a year ago, and I found it interesting listening to them discuss the merits of different engines in one car, as the 1300cc engine had better performance but the 1200cc had better fuel economy.

I drove motorcycles for over 20 years and the largest vehicle that I drove had an 1100cc engine.

Since this seems to be a stone throwing party let's enact additional yearly fines for owning vehicles with engines over 1000cc, say $1000 a year for each liter over 1 liter, and $1000 a year for each 10 mpg less than 50 mpg, as no one really needs such vehicles do they ?

I have NO problems with having a big ol truck and a camper etc. In fact, when I can afford one, I plan on having a SERIOUS wilderness outfit, like a Dodge Cummins with a decent bed camper.

I guess you had to have seen the move this guy did in the Superduty. All I did was slow a bit to manually downshift into 2nd gear and apparently, he needed to be in front of me at all cost. Not more than 2 minutes later as we hit the really hard switchbacks, there was no way he could go faster than me so I had to limp along behind him. It just seemed really dumb for the guy to just floor it the entire way up and save about a minute on his journey. You could hear the fan clutch engaged all the way so it was obviously running pretty hot from the load he had on it. He should have gotten a powerstoke anyway with the size of trailor he had so that says a lot...
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back