Gas Mileage - Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I have 2,500 miles on the car. I've avg'd about 27.5 mpg mixed city/highway. Usually drive about 75 mph on the highway. I shift at about 3,500 - 4,000 rpms. Does gas mileage improve with summer gasoline and as the car ages? Right now, I'm getting the city avg from the sticker, which isn't bad at all considering how I drive.
cheers.gif

You will definitely see better MPG once the engine has more miles on it, plus the summer formulation of fuel is worth more MPG too. Running the AC a lot is the only thing which could hurt your MPG in the summer though.

I bought my saab late this summer. MPG has never increased or decreased... It has stayed more or less constant, the biggest factor being traffic jams. I get ~34 mpg, driving at about the same speed as you do, shifting at about 3000, and most importantly, running on NJ gas. I havent seen much of a idfference overall between summer/winter gas, and believe theat NJ offers 'winter' (oxygenated) gas all year round now. I had a tank or two bought in PA that yielded close to 40 mpg on an all highway trip, however that was constant cruise at about 71 mph, on the PA turnpike. I cant say that it is because PA gas actually has more 'gas' and less oxygen in it.

In my pickup truck, I have gotten the same mileage since I bought it new as well. In fact, I cant think of any one of my or my parents cars that actually saw a mileage boost as it broke in. We all always run our AC units though (never had a leak, bad seal, or improperly working AC system, so I guess the fuel loss pays off).

Lighten up the foot if you want to get better mileage. Its not that you cant drive at 75 mph or whatever, but just take a little bit longer to get to that speed when you can. Your car and wallet will thank you.

JMH

That's pretty good.If you drive more "gently" with lower shift points you could improve your mpg's.

I am averaging 23.5 mpg's
grin.gif
right now with my my exclusive city driving,sticker states 20 city for my model.

Make sure you check the tire pressures when the tires are cold, like after it sits overnight and before driving it. If you force yourself to soft pedal it and keep the speed on the highway to 65 mph you might break 30 mpg, but I think what your getting is about right for that car.

Obviously there are a series of things you can do to improve the MPG. However if you are happy with the current mileage you are getting, (given your situation) I say cool!

I feel that way about a TDI VW Jetta! I got 48 mpg going 584 miles (12.1 gal fill) with an end destination of 606 miles in 7 hrs total drive time including 2-15 min breaks.

Just recently I started to get more focused on getting as high a mpg as possible and got a high of 62 mpg. Of course it was almost like watching paint dry.

It probably won't go up. My experience with many new cars over years and years is that milage doesn't improve. But that's just me. Others may have different experiences.

I think you should do a bit better.

My son has the 200 HP version of this engine in his Acura and he usually does close to 30 mpg in ugly commuting traffic. It dropped to 27 when we put in the Mobil DriveClean (GF-3 version
mad.gif
)

Thanks. I'll have recompute it. You have to take the amount of gas put in at the pump then divide it out. I was dividing the numbers by the tank capacity which is 17 gallons. I drive semi-hard too. Trying to break it in good. No oil consumption thus far. Only 1/4 a qt the first 600 miles or so.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Thanks. I'll have recompute it. You have to take the amount of gas put in at the pump then divide it out. I was dividing the numbers by the tank capacity which is 17 gallons. I drive semi-hard too. Trying to break it in good. No oil consumption thus far. Only 1/4 a qt the first 600 miles or so.

Yea and to get real exact its worth while going th the same pump in the same direction. Keep the nozzle all of the way in and however you do the "clicks" do it for both times.

Correction I was using 17 gallons as the divider. I only have been filling up with 12.5 gallons, which is almost on Empty.

So, on one tank I went 405 miles/ 12.5 gallons = 32.4 mpg.

fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
So far I have 2,500 miles on the car. I've avg'd about 27.5 mpg mixed city/highway. Usually drive about 75 mph on the highway. I shift at about 3,500 - 4,000 rpms. Does gas mileage improve with summer gasoline and as the car ages? Right now, I'm getting the city avg from the sticker, which isn't bad at all considering how I drive.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:

I am averaging 23.5 mpg's right now with my my exclusive city driving,sticker states 20 city for my model.

What year/models do you guys have?

My wife's 2005 Accord LX manual trans. is getting us 23.0 average over 1700 miles. This is mixed city/highway driving. I consider this as pathetic and am wondering if there isn't something wrong with it. The EPA rating on this car is 26 mpg city / 34 mpg hwy.

She really dislikes the gearing on this car as compared to her old Civic. The spacing between 2nd and 3rd is just too large for city driving, with 35mph being under 2k rpm in 3rd but over 3k rpm in 2nd, so she either has to 'race' the engine or 'lug' it, as it is extremely sluggish under 2.2k rpm.

I have a 98 accord w/ a 4cyl im getting driving as fast acceleration as i want 27.8 mpg. I f i have a light foot im getting 30mpg. I rarley speed I just get up to speed real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back