Gas cap question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

If i don't drive my car for a week,the car mysteriously consumes 1/4 of gas just for being parked!!!. I noticed a slightly fuel smell if i open the gas door. Is it possibly that my gas cap is not sealing?..Is there any test for it?
Also my MPG are very very bad even after new 4 oxygen sensors and a full tune up,but i think the culprit is the gas cap or the gas is evaporating somewhere from the gas tank.

Originally Posted By: vtecboy
Hello,

If i don't drive my car for a week,the car mysteriously consumes 1/4 of gas just for being parked!!!. I noticed a slightly fuel smell if i open the gas door. Is it possibly that my gas cap is not sealing?..Is there any test for it?
Also my MPG are very very bad even after new 4 oxygen sensors and a full tune up,but i think the culprit is the gas cap or the gas is evaporating somewhere from the gas tank.

Sound like it could be your gas cap, however it could also be where the fuel hose attached to your gas tank or any of the EVAP system connections. With this much gas smell your check engine light should be on...if not it will soon as the EVAP test runs. This is dependant of course on what model year the car is...the newer the more strict a leak is monitored.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Is someone siphoning it?

I'm pretty sure no one is siphoning it. :p

The car is a 2001 mitsubishi galant v6. No rust at the fill pipe. The car is rust free. I'm from san diego ca.
No check engine light. I'm going to put the car on jack stands and take a look at tank and the evap connections.

thanks

Good ideas, I was wondering if you were in the mountains of CA. But I'm betting you are right, not much chance of rust in SD
smile.gif

A car will not lose 1/4 of a tank of gas in a week just from a faulty gas cap.

I would bet on someone stealing your gas, it shouldn't be mysteriously losing 1/4 tank of gas and you can't find a leak, try a locking gas cap and wait a week to check
lol.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say 1/4 you mean one fourth tank?!?! Holy moley that would be a lot of gas leaking out, geez you would see that or something. Even if it was only spraying out when you were driving, the smell would be intense. Even a small leak is quite noticeable in regards to the smell.

I hope a fuel level sender is not becoming inaccurate. That would mean replacing the fuel pump module which is expensive and might require removal of the gas tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back