Garage door repair for dummies. Needing advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have a manual garage door, an older unit. No motor has ever been attached to it. Today the roller carrier broke off completely while I was lifting it up. The two universal screws holding it together ripped through the single layer of steel holding the insulation. As a result the screws will not thread in and a glob of Steelstik did nothing to help. The attached pic is the aftermath of the Steelstik. My original plan was to cover the holes in Steelstik and have the screws make their own threads in it. That plan is now in jeopardy and a repair service wants 300 dollars to replace all the rollers and "stick a bolt on the loose screws between the panel and insulation." That wasn't happening especially since most Amarr parts are available online for cheap. I'm stumped here on what to do next.

Resized_20190527_182756.jpeg

Last edited:
Larger diameter self tapping screws?

Drill new holes outboard or above or below the stripped holes?

Bolt/nut/washer in existing holes?

A garage door guy will be along and tell you the correct answer.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Larger diameter self tapping screws?

Drill new holes outboard or above or below the stripped holes?

Bolt/nut/washer in existing holes?

A garage door guy will be along and tell you the correct answer.

Yep !

Originally Posted by 928
If you can get to the back of it, just use a bolt & a locknut & oversize fender washer

Yep !

I had a garage door company service my garage door as I was hoping they would have some insight as to how to get the garage door to touch along the entire bottom.

As part of PM, they oiled the large torsion spring so it does not get hung up on itself. And tightened every nut & screw & bolt on the garage door. Also lubed the rollers.

Be careful with rudimentary garage door fixing.
If it fails when a car going under it, you will be paying more than just the garage door.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Be careful with rudimentary garage door fixing.
If it fails when a car going under it, you will be paying more than just the garage door.

Absolutely. The first repair attempt might indicate this is a job best left for the professionals. This fix ain't rocket surgery but if a guy ain't got the tools..

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by 928
If you can get to the back of it, just use a bolt & a locknut & oversize fender washer

Yep !

It's an extremely small space. Can barely get a finger through the other side let alone a washer without it falling behind the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back