Garage Door Opener for 16x10 door questions

Moving on to the last couple phases of my 30x50 building, garage door and electric are next on the list. Garage door is up first.

I'm likely going to have a door company come out install the door. I'd love to do it myself, but lack of time, and nearly every place around here will no longer do cash and carry for user installation. They'll sell a door with installation or nothing. Lemme guess, garage door shortage?

So for simplicity sake, they'll install the door and I need to choose/install my own opener. Door will be standard steel residential style short panel or whatever it's called, with vinyl backed insulation. 16' wide x 10' tall. May or may not have a window on top panel, still deciding. Hope that gives a general idea of weight. Any general guidelines for door opener size for a door this size? All I know about them is they come in various hp sizes 0.5, 1, 1.25, etc.

The current opener in my attached single car garage sounds like a freight train is about to roll through every time it opens and closes. I really despise those loud openers, and I know why it's that loud, because it was probably the cheapest unit on the market in 2007 when they built this house. I've been in some garages (usually upscale) where you can hardly hear the door opening. I like the idea of belt drive and/or DC motor, but not sure they are appropriate for a larger door. Budget is not unlimited, but I value quality/noise over cost if that makes sense.

Any advice from those in the know?

Just moved in to a newly built house. Builder installed these direct drive openers as part of their package.
Model is Liftmaster 8500W
The garage doors are 2 - 9' x 9' and 1 - 10' x 10'.
These openers work great, have battery backup, and quiet. The deadbolt system ensures a positive lock - you hear the "thunk". Reassuring.
Come with super bright LED lights that wirelessly connect - just need a 120V plug.

Recommended.

Attachments

• 20221005_184723_resized.jpg
    20221005_184723_resized.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20221005_184755_resized.jpg
    20221005_184755_resized.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20221005_185203_resized.jpg
    20221005_185203_resized.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220715_074457_resized.jpg
    20220715_074457_resized.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 57
Even if this doesn't apply to you, it may help someone else out in the future.

Make sure you have an outlet and structure to allow a wall mount door opener.

I just moved into my new custom home on 3 acres. I have one 18'X8' and a 9'X8' garage doors. If you custom order a door(s), you can opt for high cycle springs, heavy duty hinges, thicker insulation... . The upgrade cost is minimal on the high cycle springs and hardware. Consider getting wind struts or insist on a Minnesota wind code door even if you don't live in MN. I don't.

My first home had a Genie Excelerator screw drive. It was fast but noisy. Loved how fast it was going up. It lasted 20 years. My younger sis lives in my old house and I replaced it with a new opener several months ago. Genie screw drive with battery backup and wi-fi so she can open and close the door remotely and make sure it's closed if she thinks she forgot.

The Genie battery backup is a common $20 rechargable emergency exit light battery.

My new home has Genie Pro series wall mount opens with battery backup and wi-fi. It also has satellite Bluetooth lights in the ceiling.

Nothing wrong with wanting a quiet door opener. Belt drive is the way to go on that aspect.

+1 on the jackscrew mount, assuming your power isn't already done and you can add outlets where needed. If that doesn't work an overhead belt drive with a DC motor is the only way to go. Chamberlain belt drives open way faster than that Genie belt drive in the video above...that thing looks stupid slow. That being said, I've never understood why it's so important to have the fastest opener possible...do people wait until they are ready to back out to hit the button or something?

+1 on the jackscrew mount, assuming your power isn't already done and you can add outlets where needed. If that doesn't work an overhead belt drive with a DC motor is the only way to go. Chamberlain belt drives open way faster than that Genie belt drive in the video above...that thing looks stupid slow. That being said, I've never understood why it's so important to have the fastest opener possible...do people wait until they are ready to back out to hit the button or something?
Power isn't in place yet, I'll probably install the opener first (can use generator power to test/operate it initially). If the direct drive mount is an option on a 16x10 door, I'll definitely consider it.

Only benefit to speed I can think of is adverse weather like heavy blowing rain, or frigid weather where you don't want to let the heat out. That's pretty far down on the priority list, I don't care how fast/slow it is, but I don't want to wake the neighbors when it opens and closes.

I’ve got a thick, insulated with metal finish panel 18x8 door as well as 2 10x8s with the Liftmaster 8500s and love them. The weight of the door shouldn’t be an issue as the spring(s) do the work. I have insulated 8x7 and 16x7 doors on the attached garage with whatever the builder used and they are noisy as heck.

Back