Garage door opener/closer won't close in bright sun

I've been helping my parents with a second home they're prepping for rent, but there are all these little things they're trying to fix up. But the thing that's pretty maddening is the garage door opener. I'm not sure when it was installed, but I think my mother ordered the cheapest possible equipment. It's some brand I've never heard of called "MARTIN" - or at least that's what's on the remote, which uses a single A23 battery.

The issue is the electric eye sensor, which is right in the view of sunlight at certain times of the day - usually mid to late afternoon. It's not too bad if it's overcast, but if there's bright sunlight it won't close. It might when the sensor is shaded - maybe someone standing. Not always though. It might take a little bit before it finally closes. I can hear a click and maybe it slightly closes, but then stays open.

I told my dad that it might make sense to relocate the sensor and light source, but he's stubborn that he doesn't want to. I'm not sure what can be done. Maybe place a shield on the sensor to block out ambient light?

I would recommend either shielding it as you mention or just move the brackets further from the door where the garage wall naturally shadows it. I would attempt the second if it was my property. It would be the cleanest look.

I would recommend either shielding it as you mention or just move the brackets further from the door where the garage wall naturally shadows it. I would attempt the second if it was my property. It would be the cleanest look.

Moving it further in won't work. The sensor is facing the west and there's lots of sun in the afternoon.

I told my dad that it might make sense to relocate the sensor and light source, but he's stubborn that he doesn't want to. I'm not sure what can be done. Maybe place a shield on the sensor to block out ambient light?
This is the right solution and most professional GDO installers know to place the receiver sensor so that it does not face the afternoon sun. If your dad is unwilling to do the right thing, then that is something he will have to live with. Cutting off your nose to spite your face never ends well.

Has this sensor behaved like that from the beginning? I'd probably fabricate a snoot from a piece of flanged tubing and mount it over the sensor eye.

I may have to look into those shades, right now I am just using a piece of cardboard cut like the bill of a ball cap with a zip tie. It sticks out about 2" past the sensor and has fixed the problem. If I was going to sell or rent though I would get a better looking solution.

Don't now the generation of your unit, but I had same problem with a pretty old unit. Turns out one sensor was a sender and one was a receiver. Flipped their location and all was good.

Back