Gabriel brand shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any experience with Gabriel brand shocks/struts? Good/bad?
Never heard of Gabriel brand.. I have heard of Monroe, KYB, Billstein among others.. I need to replace mine (Corolla in sig) Thanks in advance!

Gabriel struts are awesome.

I have their readymount quick strut on my ES300 (Camry). They have held up fine so far.

The good news is that they make quick struts for your car, too!

Amazon has 20% off their already low prices, but make sure you buy directly from Amazon and ot the marketplace.

I don't have any experience with Gabriel struts but I can say the Gabriel Ultra shocks I put on my Dakota are excellent. Good firm truck-like ride but not stiff as a board, handling, cornering, braking and overall road manners are very good.

I think there was a post here not long ago from someone who put Gabriel Quick Struts or maybe they are called Ready Struts? Anyway I think he had good results with Gabriel as well.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
imo much better than monroe.been around as long as i can remember

Yep, I want to avoid Monroe. I was looking at KYB and just noticed Gabriel. With Amazon's promo it works out to 324$ tax and ship included for all 4.. now if only one of them wasnt on backorder... thinking I will check Rock Auto's prices now.

I replaced the shocks on my daughters s10 pickup with Gabriel's. They work good, price is right and lifetime warranty.

With shocks/struts ordering online from a place like Amazon can make the lifetime warranty a hassle. Something to consider if you plan on keeping the car a long time.

A guy in Garage Journal is dealing with this right now with some Motorcraft struts. Amazon sells them, but they won't warranty them after the initial return period and they technically aren't an "authorized retailer" for them.

I don't know if Amazon is an authorized seller for Gabriel, but Amazon admits they aren't authorized for a lot of products they sell.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468516

I bought my last set of struts from Advance with discount code. Good price and easy warranty. But I don't know I they sell Gabriel.

I can only speak of Gabriel in terms of class 8 trucks but they make super quality shocks for at least some OEM's. They were original equipment on my Volvo and previous trucks as well (western star, peterbilt).

I only buy Gabriel as replacements, too. They are top notch quality. I believe all Gabriels I've seen were made up there in Canada. Buy with confidence!

Came back to add...I doubt you'll ever need to file warranty claim.

Last edited:
Mine (Explorer) were made in Venezuela....very good results after 2 years...
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I can only speak of Gabriel in terms of class 8 trucks but they make super quality shocks for at least some OEM's. They were original equipment on my Volvo and previous trucks as well (western star, peterbilt).

I only buy Gabriel as replacements, too. They are top notch quality. I believe all Gabriels I've seen were made up there in Canada. Buy with confidence!

Came back to add...I doubt you'll ever need to file warranty claim.

I've been told the GAs ride is between monroe and KYB...firm, but not too firm...

I've been hearing good things about them lately, and as much as it breaks my heart that I can't get em' cheap (Seems autozone is the go to), they will do better than the raybestos (rebranded Monroe sentatracs) that are on the wife's car, and better then the balt's current aging ones.....

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I don't have any experience with Gabriel struts but I can say the Gabriel Ultra shocks I put on my Dakota are excellent. Good firm truck-like ride but not stiff as a board, handling, cornering, braking and overall road manners are very good.

Likewise. Both heavy duty fleet vans and regular pickups, excellent shock with killer pricing.

Definitely the best shock for a reasonable price these days...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Appreciate all the replies! Looks like Gabriel is a solid bet.

Probably!^^^

I haven't used Gabriel Shocks since the 1970's and they were good then. All through the 80's-90's and even today, I have been using Monroe with good success and have just had our first experience with KYB in the past year...OK so far!

I put a set of their cheap entry level shocks for a guy who just couldn't afford higher priced shocks. $25ea todays price at AZ IIRC they were $20
They are well made, well painted and finished and rode as well or better as a $50 Monroe.

I helped the guy out and put them on for $10ea, they were simple shocks. For $100 he had 4 new shock installed out the door. That was over 2 years ago and the guy is thrilled with them.
Ride is still good and even the paint is holding up. Good choice for an inexpensive shock.

Autozone has a 25% off two promo going for the month of July. This combined with a discount code on their website make these gabriels a pretty good deal and also gives you a brick and mortar store for warranty purposes.

I put Gabriel Guardians on my DD almost 2 years ago. I am still very happy with the way the car rides and handles, especially for a luxo-barge.

I remember using Gabriel Striders (adjustable shocks) in the '70s.

The Gabriels are made in Mexico and since they don't have the hex key like Monroe and some other manufacturers use, it's very difficult to tighten the top nut on the strut. Other than that, it's more of a ride preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back