G-05 or old school green for a Ford Vulcan V6?

I topped it off with Prestone Cor-Guard since it was low on coolant but I’m torn between G-05 or old school green(I’ll use the “better” Zerex formulation if so). Truck seems to be filled with Motorcraft green - it was dealer serviced but it will see a quick lube for future services. Should I just do a spill and fill with green, or a series of distilled water flushes and switch over to G-05, or roll the dice and just use Prestone to “idiot-proof” the truck from Oil Changers/Jiffy Lube?

That manual probably calls for Ford MC Premium Gold AF. The Prestone green is a great choice, though, and probably better than the yellow. I'm pretty sure Ford used Gold in then went to Motorcraft Orange (Dexcool) which they regretted. It think the Green is compatible with anything and use it with confidence....

We have no idea on the vehicle in question other than it's a truck with a Vulcan V-6. I am sure you are capable of determining what coolant to use by reading your owner's manual.

Set yourself at ease by draining the existing coolant, filling the system with water, run the engine, then drain again. There will still be diluted water/coolant in the block. Fill with 100% Prestone 10 year. When it dilutes with the water in the block it will be close to 50/50. I have ordinary Prestone 5 year in my 3.0 Vulcan in my 2005 Taurus and had ordinary Prestone 5 year in my 2000 Taurus for 15 years, changing every 5 years.

No idea what it's going into, but if I try to read your post, it's something that came with green from the factory.
Nothing wrong with green, but there's better stuff out there. Do you do all the service on the truck yourself? After a thorough flush, go with G-05. If you have others service it, go with traditional green. (If that's what was put in by the factory) Because the quick service guys will add green to it, even if it's over the "full" mark on the overflow reservoir.

We have no idea on the vehicle in question other than it's a truck with a Vulcan V-6. I am sure you are capable of determining what coolant to use by reading your owner's manual.
Truck is a 1998 Ranger. Ford calls for regular green, many have switched over to G-05.

Il
Either will be fine. I assume you will have totally flushed out the green before filling with G05.
i’ll use multiple distilled water flushes to dilute the existing coolant before the switch.

Now, from what I see, Ford isn’t using RTV to seal coolant passages in this engine. The IMGs are old-school fiber core with printed resin beads to seal the water bypasses, same story with the head gasket(graphite core, copper or steel sealing beads). Prestone could work with no issues but solder is a concern.

Ok, truck will be getting its next oil change after I’m done at a quick lube. One(Oil Changers) uses Prestone Cor-Guard, the other(10 Minute Speed Oil Change Center, a local Bay Area chain) uses Safety-Kleen Chameleon recycled coolant, a Dex-Clone.

A part of me wants to use G-05. But another part says Prestone to idiot-proof things. O’Reilly has a MIR on Peak 10X, never tried it, it does have the same benzoate OAT as G-05 IIRC.

Set yourself at ease by draining the existing coolant, filling the system with water, run the engine, then drain again. There will still be diluted water/coolant in the block. Fill with 100% Prestone 10 year. When it dilutes with the water in the block it will be close to 50/50. I have ordinary Prestone 5 year in my 3.0 Vulcan in my 2005 Taurus and had ordinary Prestone 5 year in my 2000 Taurus for 15 years, changing every 5 years.
Any weird cooling system issues since the switch?

I’m going with Prestone, the quick lube factor is in the equation. If I was doing the oil changes on it, G-05 without a question. AZ had a $3 bonus for their rewards program - Peak 10X at OR was tempting but not gonna fuss with a MIR.

Any weird cooling system issues since the switch?

I’m going with Prestone, the quick lube factor is in the equation. If I was doing the oil changes on it, G-05 without a question. AZ had a $3 bonus for their rewards program - Peak 10X at OR was tempting but not gonna fuss with a MIR.
Nothing to report. The coolant jug is quite clear with a yellow tinge. It’s time to change it out next year.

Back