G-05 Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to use a G-05 in my '96 3.8L Windstar.
This engine is known for coolant leaks, and came from the factory with the traditional green, high silicate coolant.
I felt, from reading this forum, that the G-05 would be a good compromise for my engine.

Last year, I flushed and put in the Prestone "All makes / types" coolant in the yellow jug.
Reading here, I found out that this is a Dexcool Clone.
No major panic, which Ray H has confirmed for me is not a big deal.

I decided to flush this year, when I replace my lower intake manifold gaskets, and put in G-05.

I ran into a problem locating an after market G-05.

I looked online, and found that Partsamerica told me that a Checker store near me had the Zerex G-05 in stock.
They did not. They told me that they never heard of Zerex coolant. Then, they told me that they did not think that it was made anymore.
They told me that if I was looking for a G-05, that I should use the Prestone "All makes / types" coolant in the yellow jug. They said that it is G-05 and NOT a dexcool clone.
I passed, and kept looking.

I stopped at a Napa. They told me that they did not carry the Zerex any more, and to use the Peak "Global", which is a G-05, and not a dexcool type coolant.
The Peak website states that the Peak "Global" is a "advanced Organic Acid Technology" and that it does not contain any silicates.

Then I stopped at a Carquest, and bought the Zerex G-05 coolant.

It is frustrating getting conflicting information.

[ March 31, 2006, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: wiswind ]

Zerex G-05 was becoming increasingly popular up to about a year and a half ago, then Honeywell (Prestone) entered the fray with their "All Makes/Any Color" claims for their own dexclone, and willingness to provide virtually the same stuff dyed other colors as house brands (i.e. "SuperTech" among others). The results on G-05 sales probably account for the number of autoparts stores no longer carrying Zerex G-05. Glad you perserverred - I don't think you'll be disappointed. If push had come to shove, The longlife Mopar antifreeze and Ford Premium Gold antifreeze are both G-05s, too, albeit at often extortionist dealership pricing.

Thanks!
I was confident that I would be able to get the G-05 "Premium Gold" at my local Ford Dealership....

I thought that I would post the experience with the DISinformation that I got this afternoon at 2 different auto parts stores.

Hours of reasearch on the internet pays off.

Autozones in my area stopped carrying G-05 about a year ago. They now carry the Prestone yellow dexclone and Prestone GM licensed orange DEX-COOL(tm) instead. But, then, 2/3 the population in southern California's doing good just to buy and use any antifreeze.

I found Zerex G0-5 at NAPA but had to ask for it, was behind the rack and not on display. Also spotted it at Checker Auto Parts which is Checker, Kragen, Shucks in Colorado.

Scott

My Pep Boys has the Zerex G-05 - thank goodness. Unfortunately it has a very small portion of the shelf space. I just hope they still carry it next time I need to change coolant.

Anyone who can't find G-05 at auto parts and big box stores by any maker of antifreeze should call their local Ford Dealership and ask for the price of the Ford brand of G-05. In fact call the Ford dealer even if you are going to look elsewhere. I too looked all over for G-05 last year and only found one store with it (I can't remember the brand). It was $18 a gallon. I was surprised at the high price and just for the heck of it called the Ford dealer, which quoted me $13 a gallon for the Ford brand.

Well, the PEP Boys has it in Northern Va for 11.99. Kinda high, but waddya gonna doo?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back