Funny quote about the A340

The QUOTE:

Oddly enough for a passenger aircraft, the A340 was believed to be somewhat underpowered and acquired a reputation of being slow.

“It was the only plane to be hit by bird strikes from behind,” jokes Richard Aboulafia, an aviation analyst at Aerodynamic Advisor.

:ROFLMAO:

True but depends on which model.

A340-500 had lots of power from talking with pilots who flew it at my airline.

Last edited:
The -600 was a bit of a dog.

The 330 was a bit of a dog.

Haven’t flown either. Likely never will, but I’ve been stuck behind and below them on departure, and it’s like being stuck behind a minivan doing 55 in the left lane.

When you’re in a Mercedes.

Used to take a 346 from LAX to SIN - super long flight that had only 100 business class seats … It would fly about 3/4 full and was the most peaceful boarding, plenty of restrooms, and such good service it was almost annoying 😶 - after an 18 hour first flight - asked one of my guys what he thought?
3 meals … 3 naps … fell in love 3 times ❤️
(if you have flown Singapore Airlines - you get the the later) 😷

Last edited:
Never heard anything about the 787( we operate ) , but pilots at my airline complain about the 777 being a dog ( lots of power to climb , and fast ) because it has a small wing and gets stuck down low.

A330 - lots of power , and able to cruise much higher when heavy.

Now, the plane I am about to fly, the A321. Is a dog.

The Mercedes in our fleet is the 330🙂

Haven’t flown either. Likely never will, but I’ve been stuck behind and below them on departure, and it’s like being stuck behind a minivan doing 55 in the left lane.

Just booked an LH/UA combo and the IAH leg dumped the 330 for a 744 - would of thought I’d never see one again - maybe a 748i - but this one must be one of the last few 4’s …
Got a bulkhead seat in the hump for old times sake !

Never heard anything about the 787( we operate ) , but pilots at my airline complain about the 777 being a dog ( lots of power to climb , and fast ) because it has a small wing and gets stuck down low.

Fair enough. I may have had the type wrong when I was stuck behind one.

Fly a NEO or previous Gen ?
I took an AC 789 “dreamer” from YYZ to AMS a few months back - very nice service …

A Mercedes? Like a 80's 300D? 😁

We flew to Europe on an A340 last year as a matter of choice (mine) because I wanted a flight on the type before they left service.
It was quiet and comfortable as compared to a 777 and it was not notably slower on the crossing. Takeoff performance is not epic, mainly because Airbus had to go with an engine that was not their original choice for the aircraft.
FWIU fuel efficiency is not much worse than the 777, and the four CFM-56 engines are probably not much more expensive to maintain than the two larger engines from any of three manufactures on the 777.
Nonetheless, the 777 doomed the A-340 although the A-330 developed in parallel with it soldiers on.

I often took A340-300 with Air France or Lufthansa from ATL when I lived in Alabama. I remember once in Air France A340-300 pilot throttled up while on brakes and released it, and still, a dud :)
However, I always enjoyed 340-600 from a passenger perspective. That Lufthansa lavatory set up under the main cabin was really nice.
I have not flown for a long time on A340, possibly 10 years, until last November. I took A350-900 from Denver to Frankfurt. On a way back, I flew A340-300. And this was quick turn around, so my memory of A350 was fresh. And what a stark, STARK difference.

Last edited:

"Airbus responded ( to the B777 ) by developing a stretched version of the A340 that could seat more and fly further. But this bigger aircraft burned more fuel and cost more to operate."

Yeah, I think Airbus had to pay back customers for overstating efficiency on 600. Then, they advised customers about weight distribution to get better numbers.

Back