Fun & Arbitrage in Car Markets - Sold my 2020 Mustang GT to Vroom & Ordered a 2022 Replacement

well here's the prices they're having to go to in order to sell:

1639959469210.jpg

Update on the sell / buy process:

Vroom has my car offered at $40,499. Again, since a $1000 rebate showed up this is a swap +$2,000 in my pocket after taxes/costs exercise now.

My replacement 2022 is scheduled to be built next Tuesday. I may have it by around Feb 1 ! Seems Ford is able to source plenty of chips & parts.

VRM and CVNA stock have been getting totally wrecked lately. As i expected, seeing them overpay for things non stop. I wanted to short them pretty badly but i was chicken.

There are two ford dealers, one in PA and one in IA (learned from mustang forums) that will sell ordered cars 4% under invoice.

Vroom dropped my car to $39,499. It's got "great features" again! No option Mustang GT !!

1642272117961.jpg

They dropped the price to 37,999 and within a day it shows sale pending (obvioulsy could have been sold for less than 37,99). My 2022 equivalent order is $35,322 with doc fee, pre tax and registration.

1643570126153.jpg

Apparently that sale didn't go through. They dropped it another $1000 and in about a week they have sale pending.
I should be picking up the 2022 a week from today.

1644707276502.jpg

Apparently that sale didn't go through. They dropped it another $1000 and in about a week they have sale pending.
I should be picking up the 2022 a week from today.
So they paid you about 40k and are selling it for about $37k. Buy high and sell low. Good way to lose your shirt. They're probably doing it just to get the volume and people are ignoring their losses per sale. Profit does have to matter at some point unless they managed to throw in a bunch of fees and other products lumped into the sale.

I love this, used market cooling off a bit. StrongVW still trying to sell my old Alltrack, probably at a loss now because they got it from a wholesale dealer that paid me sticker for it.

I don't wish them harm but they bid at least $2k too high. I did have two second place bidders at around $38k. Too high and not an ideal car to take into inventory in the winter months.

I will bid out the 2022 to see what they or others bid, at least for fun. The dealer I bought the 2020 from originally (in VA) is discounting in stock 2022s about $2500 under MSRP right now. My ordered car deal is about $4000 below MSRP with a $1000 Ford rebate. I understand my dealer has cut their deal to 3% under invoice now, about $400 higher than the deal I got.

Picked up the 2022 replacement car before some weather arrived here Thursday night. Unwashed per my instructions - will begin tomorrow.
When I picked up the car, I commented that they must delivering like 20 cars a day they were offering. The guy said, no less than that even in a week... and that they were going suspend their deal altogether because of the low supply from Ford. In contrast, he said their sister Dodge-Ram-Jeep dealer seems to get as many cars as they'd like... and that there were 50 customer Ram 1500 TRXs (Hellcat engine) trucks behind their Ford dealership... Thank you Chapman Ford. Good people, great dealer.

IMG-4773.jpg
IMG-4774.jpg
2022GT_HomeinGarage.jpg

Nice car!

I don't understand what you mean: "When I picked up the car, I commented that they must delivering like 20 cars a day they were offering. The guy said, no less than that even in a week... and that they were going suspend their deal altogether because of the low supply from Ford"

Suspend your deal?

Maybe they hired some of the people that Zillow just laid off?
Naw, just part of the crazy pre-IPO type bubbles of fake it til you make it. I still don't understand how long Uber can go on losing money but yet still have such a high valuation.

I meant they were going to stop taking new ordered car deals at 3-4% below invoice. To what new pricing, I don't know. Everyone else is basically MSRP except Grainger in Iowa. I was locked in at time of order at 4% under invoice.

Detailed. Washed, clayed and used the new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions spray with Graphene.
Wheel/tire setup 33lbs lighter than factory 18s.
Enkei RPF1s, made in Japan.
305-40-18 Nitto 555Rii in rear, 245-45-18 Continental Extreme Contact Sports in front. Got center caps after the picture; RPF1s don't come with them.

2022FullyDetailed1.jpg

It is amazing how a nice set of tires and wheels make a car look better. And in many cases, scrub seconds from lap times. It's one reason why I dislike reviews and comparisons between performance cars that don't use something close to the same tires and wheels.

Watched an otherwise stock 10 speed auto Mustang 5.0 at PBIR (the old Moroso) dragstrip last friday. He had big sticky tires, and he broke into the 11's at nearly 120. But the big deal was that he did not have uncontrollable wheel spin at launch. Just multiple solid launches.

Back