Fully loaded pickup - @ payload rating

JHZR2

Staff member
I had to haul a bunch of stuff in my 96 Ram tonight, which put me right at payload. My truck has a 9’ aluminum bed, which I understand is a bit heavier than the OE bed. I believe the manufacturer’s payload ratings don’t include fuel or passengers, right? If so, I’m a bit over:

- OE Bed (250)
+ flatbed 300
+ 3/4 35gal tank of diesel 184
+ driver 250
+ rider 70
+ 57 Sheets @ 43lb 2451
+ 6 bags cement @ 80lb 480
+ 16 cinderblocks @ 35lb 560
+ 12 PT wood @ 13 lb 156

Puts me 161 lbs over the rated payload of 4050lb

I aired up the tires and put 35 lb in the air lift helpers. It handled it effortlessly. I had to go up a pretty long, sustained grade, and had no issues with the AT. The only thing I noticed was that the ds rear wheel,was a good deal hotter than the other three. It has a new cylinder.

Not bad for a truck with 438k.

3C6D2ED6-C0C7-4490-BD15-A0FFE01389DE.jpeg

Hardest thing was getting my helper to take this photo without shaking the camera.

38FEA227-055B-4604-B6F8-5EC9D86544AF.jpeg

I believe the manufacturer’s payload ratings don’t include fuel or passengers, right?

Some manufacturers allow for a full tank of fuel, and a 150 lb driver. Any additional weight subtracts from the rated payload capacity. Your owners manual will specify.

Last edited:
Ford includes a full tank of fuel in the payload calculations - in other words, you don't subtract anything from the payload for a full tank of fuel.

I had a 3/4 ton Ford pickup. I would carry as much gravel as the bed would take before the rear tires sagged too much. I was probably well over the manufacturer's rated load.

What is delivery charge. 57 sheets of plywood I guess you get to skip workout or you parking truck and pulling off it for ease?

$79. Or I drive there, they slide the pallet straight into my truck, and I’m done. I’m not sure if HD would have delivered a whole shopping list of stuff, and if I had to make the trip anyway, and have the truck...

That's a nice bed! That Cummins didn't even care about that load.

I use my lifted F-150 with upsized E-rated more like a F-250, so no bad comments from me.

I overload my 2500HD all the time per the max payload specs, I completely ignore payload unless I'm towing/hauling a long distance.

I'm waiting for someone who is over payload to run in to me. I have my eye on a KIng Ranch Edition truck.............that's what I will buy with the settlement when I sue them.

I believe the manufacturer’s payload ratings don’t include fuel or passengers, right?

Having zero personal experience in automotive design and was curious myself, I did what stumped engineers usually do- I posted this question to those who do know. Here is the aggregate answer I was given.

The true calculation is considered true IP ( the total inclusive items for the weight and the baseline distribution) and heavily protected ( secret) because they don't want people or after market companies "thinking for themselves" and making claims and selling things that allegedly alter a vehicles design capacities where the manufacturer could be liable for damage or injury.

I was also universally told the published figures are conservative by a third to half on average so what they publish is just manual filler. ( mainly on trucks but with "mom cars' they know they will be overloaded and nobody calculates this so they build in a generous margin)

I was also told there have been discussions over the years with every group from legal to marketing about weight, man/woman, gender and all sorts of stuff to be "pc' and not to offend anyone or say a given "weight' is "good". Personally, I never would have thought this would be such a sensitive issue from an engineering perspective but it really is according to those in the business.

Basically it boils down to public image and potential lawsuits- same thing with towing capacity.

for what its worth

God, don't ever admit something like that on the RV forums. They'll swear that you were only seconds from death and a danger to all!!

Good to see the truck still ticking away though, good job!
I don’t totally blame them … towing at max rated with an RV is a different animal with CG, wind loads etc …
I know two guys who followed what the F150 ecoBoost was rated and unfortunately took the wife with them shopping for an RV, ☹️ … One owns a Super Duty and one owns a DMax … all good now …

Having zero personal experience in automotive design and was curious myself, I did what stumped engineers usually do- I posted this question to those who do know. Here is the aggregate answer I was given.

The true calculation is considered true IP ( the total inclusive items for the weight and the baseline distribution) and heavily protected ( secret) because they don't want people or after market companies "thinking for themselves" and making claims and selling things that allegedly alter a vehicles design capacities where the manufacturer could be liable for damage or injury.

I was also universally told the published figures are conservative by a third to half on average so what they publish is just manual filler. ( mainly on trucks but with "mom cars' they know they will be overloaded and nobody calculates this so they build in a generous margin)

I was also told there have been discussions over the years with every group from legal to marketing about weight, man/woman, gender and all sorts of stuff to be "pc' and not to offend anyone or say a given "weight' is "good". Personally, I never would have thought this would be such a sensitive issue from an engineering perspective but it really is according to those in the business.

Basically it boils down to public image and potential lawsuits- same thing with towing capacity.

for what its worth
You make it sound as if it wasn't cast in concrete... and if I go 3 pounds over, that I won't die in a fiery crash. This would not go well on an RV board.

All kidding aside, thanks for asking around. Validates what I've long figured: "it depends" is actually the proper way to boil something complex down to a single number (IOW you just can't).

Back