Full size Pick-Ups and Parking Spots

Back in With my 1/2 ton work trucks even in places like DT LA. No problems.

The problem is, they're trying to cram way too many parking spots into the parking lots.
Better to have people insid complaining about the size of the parking space than having them drive away because they couldn’t find a spot.

I think the problem is a combination of things:
-- vehicles (including consumer pickups) are getting larger, no question. The current RAV4 is larger than my dad's 2006 Highlander.
-- minimum size of parking stalls is dictated by local zoning code; developers used to make spaces larger than minimum where they could, but not anymore
-- human overpopulation... too many people and not enough spaces, forcing developers to make smaller spaces so the businesses in place can get more customers in and out

Not just pickups, but Suburbans as well. Not only do they not fit in the parking spots, but the drivers don’t seem to have the skill needed to put them between the lines anymore.

I always say that if you can’t properly drive a big vehicle, you shouldn’t.

Having just downgraded from a 16 F150 SuperCrew with a 6.5’ bed to an 09 Camry, I zip around like crazy now. The truck was bulky and took effort to park. The Camry slides right in anywhere!

Obviously not as tall or as heavy but interesting size comparison nonetheless.

ww2 medium tanks are tiny

god bless the poor souls who had to ride around in a first gen t-34 with the two man turret

Last edited:
I'd estimate trucks have gotten approximately on average 1% bigger and 1% more powerful every year for the last 30 years, making them roughly 30% larger and more powerful over 3 decades. Technology has allowed them to be more efficient on fuel, more power efficient, smaller supercharged engines, trim weight, and backup cameras help with their maneuverability and size. The Rangers and Tacomas of today are about the size and slightly more power compared to the F150s and Tundras of a few decades ago, and the entire 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton nomenclature has been altered as a result. The current "3/4 ton and 1 ton" trucks today are behemoths. Here's an example of a F350 "Sport" with shorter bed, that cannot come close to fitting in a parking spot. Look at the full sized SUVs next to it, nearly completely blocked by the truck. Somehow, I doubt this is being used for it's designed purpose of hauling horses ...

iu

Look at the normal sized sedan next to these monstrosities that are clearly not farm duty trucks. The wheels are as tall as the hood of the car. They could probably drive over the car, and roll the truck, especially in a collision. The truck hoods are 5' off the ground, about the height of the top of the passenger car. I see these trucks, ALL OVER the city, and they are DDs and not being used as one would generally buy a truck to use it for truck duties. They're 75% from my guess, status symbols and daily drivers.

truck_c6e25ca5c4610bae78d821fae7093a87b4dec6d5.jpg

Good example:

460330d1482273722-parking-lot-camaraderie-pics-photo334.jpg

Similar has occurred with SUVs and to an extent passenger cars. They've bulked up. The Expeditions, Sequoias, Land Rovers, and so forth have all added 30% size.

Yes, parking spaces have generally gotten smaller. I've seen lots increase the number of spaces by 10% when repainted, simply by shrinking the parking spaces commensurately.

Last edited:
Back