full flow filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a full flow oil filter. I was on the Amsoil site and it said their filter was a full flow filter and was needed for extended drains. Could i just change my normal filter (purolator premium plus) every 4-6 months if i use Amsoil? I thought it was a filter without the spring loaded rubber piece. Is this right?

A full flow filter is the type of filter on almost every car out there on the road. It is the opposite of the bypass type filtration system where only part of the oil goes through it at any given time, since it's so restrictive to flow that it would starve the engine if all the oil went through it at once. But with the bypass filters they can filter down to about 1 micron, where a typical full flow filter filters down to about 10 microns for the premium filters, or 25-30 microns for the typical OEM filter.

Jon-
The full flow filter is equivalent to the OEM filter. AMSOIL recommends use of their own filters (where they have some to fit the application) for 12,500 miles OR 6 months.
If you use another brand, AMSOIL recommends using it for the length of time recommended by the auto manufacturer, usually no more than 7500 miles.
You can certainly use your brand of filter, changing as you indicated. May not save you any money, since you'll have to replace a cup to a quart of oil with the filter change.

Amsoil says that if you use other then their filter it must be changed in accordance with owners manual. However,even if using their filter it must be changed at "6 months" or 12,500 miles whichever comes first. the 6 months always comes first. Further, I have found that after 6 months the Amsoil filter drain back valves begin to fail and leak back oil. that may be why they want them replaced at 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back