Fujitsu vs. Mitsubishi Ductless Mini Split

I dont know about those specific units both both are well regarded.. Seems like Mitsu might be slightly preferred but not sure between those 2 models.

Any price difference?

Not going mr.cool self install? :p

I dont know about those specific units both both are well regarded.. Seems like Mitsu might be slightly preferred but not sure between those 2 models.

Any price difference?

Not going mr.cool self install? :p
I'm waiting for a price on the Mitsubishi model, but the Fujitsu works out to $3K installed.

https://hvacdirect.com/fujitsu-9-00...-split-heat-pump-system-9rl2.html?utm_source={google}&utm_medium={cpc}&utm_campaign=11229123590&adgroupid=106936813341&utm_content=468855140119&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwquWVBhBrEiwAt1KmwjtjUUxf0md1GwSFJE5yeceqhN727ehQybJmWARRgmpWVbE9j_nSARoCDf4QAvD_BwE

Parts alone would probably run me $2k to DIY, so $1K for the labor doesn't seem terrible since it involves installation into a 2nd story room.

3k for minisplit of a top name brand installed is amazing. I did my own once, and it was a serious project! That bid is generous.
It is being done in conjunction with a central a/c system replacement.

It is being done in conjunction with a central a/c system replacement.
Well that doesnt matter too much unless they are making a lot on the central. Yes their vehicles will already be there but nothing else will cross over. Bids i got were beyond crazy, like $3-5k labor alone! I deep dived, bought tools, spent tons of time, and did it myself. I would have loved to just scratch off a check for 3k and have it done for me! This was 2019 times, 12k 220v unit, but still.

Well that doesnt matter too much unless they are making a lot on the central. Yes their vehicles will already be there but nothing else will cross over. Bids i got were beyond crazy, like $3-5k labor alone! I deep dived, bought tools, spent tons of time, and did it myself. I would have loved to just scratch off a check for 3k and have it done for me! This was 2019 times, 12k 220v unit, but still.
True. The central a/c is a 4-ton Rheem RA16 with R95T furnace, 10 yr Rheem labor warranty extension, compressor sound blanket accessory and air scoop/manual damper door for $11.9K.

I referred them a somewhat large project last week and they also did my father in law’s house 2 years ago, so I’m guessing the pricing reflects this.

Know that the M-series Mitsubishi units are 'cheap' lightweight residential units, they have an extremely high failure rate in the commercial world where the use is higher. Many 'cheap' commercial HVAC contractors try to use these and, as I said, the failure rate is pretty high. So high that the primary Mitsubishi distributor in Georgia would not sell M-series units for a known commercial project, at least they wouldn't a few years ago.

The P-series is a much more durable unit and, yes, I know they are probably 150% the cost of the M-series.

Are those the only two brands the installer deals with?

Fujitsu is more into computing and that sort of thing now. The air conditioner hardware might be made by someone else. I would wonder about parts availability down the road.

Mitsubishi is a excellent brand in this regard. Daikin is another as is Panasonic.

Mitsibishi last a very long time, not sure about Fujitsu mini splits. These are very old and perfected technologies. ... given that even the rebranded Chinese products sold by US resellers are quite reliable, either of the two choices will likely serve a long time.

Know that the M-series Mitsubishi units are 'cheap' lightweight residential units, they have an extremely high failure rate in the commercial world where the use is higher. Many 'cheap' commercial HVAC contractors try to use these and, as I said, the failure rate is pretty high. So high that the primary Mitsubishi distributor in Georgia would not sell M-series units for a known commercial project, at least they wouldn't a few years ago.

The P-series is a much more durable unit and, yes, I know they are probably 150% the cost of the M-series.
Interesting, thanks. Supplier says only the JP and GL (both M-series) are available from the local HVAC distributor. Price difference between the JP and GL is $700. Do you think these units can last 10-15 years in a residential application? I question whether the ROI is there for light usage (3-4 hr/day, 20 days per month). Also curious if there are any differences between the JP and GL aside from efficiency.

Are those the only two brands the installer deals with?
Yes.

Also curious if there are any differences between the JP and GL aside from efficiency.
Did some homework on this. GL has the following advantages over the JP:

- 24.6 seer vs. 17 seer
- GL has 5 airflow settings vs. 4 on the JP
- GL's quiet mode is 19 db and 109 cfm in cool; JP's lowest setting is 22 db and 134 cfm in cool
- GL has a fancier air filter

1656440543469.jpg

1656440558602.jpg

Last edited:
Went with the Mitsubishi MUZ/MSZ-JP09WA. I wanted the GL, but the Mitsubishi dealer site was showing it to be on backorder with no ETA. For $3K installed, I am not complaining...

I've had a Mitsubishi Mr Slim in a 4 season room for 13 years and it works great, however, mine in a 15A 220V unit. Only issue we've had is the condensate pump since we couldn't do a gravity drain. I am amazed every winter by the heat it puts out. A/C works great as well.

Back